Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on here in some time but today when I checked on Sookie, I noticed her eye was severely infected. It was cloudy and gooey and bulging out. I immediately took her to the local emergency clinic where they said her eye would probably have to come out. It was probably due to a scratch that just got worse but I can't afford the biopsy needed to officially identify the problem. They gave me some antibiotics to help her in the meantime but I am a wreck. I can't even look at her without crying. I know it hurts her because she's whimpering, and she hardly ever makes noise. Has this happened to anyone else? It seemed to happen overnight. I'm so mad at myself for not noticing earlier but I didn't see anything until now and she was acting normal.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Its quite common for hedgehogs to have eye issues. There are a lot of one eyed hedgehogs and lots that have lost both eyes. Your hedgie won't miss the eye and you probably won't even see a difference in her behaviour after the removal of the eye. Did the vet give you any pain meds for her? If not call them and ask for some. The sooner you can have the eye removed the sooner she'll be out of pain.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The regular vet took a look today and he thinks that it may have started to pop out and then it actually ruptured. She had the surgery shortly after and I get to bring her home tomorrow. So devastated and angry at myself for not noticing it sooner. Thankfully, there's no infection so she should be ok.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Don't blame yourself, it probably happened in a very very short time. Hedgehog eyes are prone to things like this and there's nothing you could have done to prevent it. Your hedgie will be fine with only one eye and believe me its upsetting you much more than it is upsetting her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts