Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: Heisenberg is an african pygmy male, 1 years old, and a grump. I sometimes call him Bergie since it's shorter.

Sunday night, I noticed Heisenberg was squinting when I went to wake him up. I didn't think much until he was continuously closing his one eye and it seemed like it was hurting him. So I made an appointment with my hedgehog vet for Monday morning.

Monday came and we brought him in. Heisenberg is a strange hog... He only likes me and even so, he doesn't always smooth his quills. So the vet had a hard time getting a good look at his eye. But he said that it seems Bergie had some discharge. We got a prescription to give him drops 2 times a day. They're ciprofloxacin.

The problem I'm having with the drops is trying to get them in his eye!
Does anybody have some tips for me to get them in?
He's still closing his eye a lot when he's looking around and I am having a really hard time. =( I just want to make him better and avoid surgery if I can.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
How does he feel about water and baths? Often putting a hedgehog in water can at least keep them unballed and with their face out, since they don't want to put their face in the water. If they really hate water, it keeps them so busy trying to get out, they fight less against whatever you're trying to do.

Do you have a second person around at all? It might be easier with one person to control his body and then have you control his head and try to get the drops in. Then once the traumatic ordeal is over...lots and lots of treats! :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does he feel about water and baths? Often putting a hedgehog in water can at least keep them unballed and with their face out, since they don't want to put their face in the water. If they really hate water, it keeps them so busy trying to get out, they fight less against whatever you're trying to do.

Do you have a second person around at all? It might be easier with one person to control his body and then have you control his head and try to get the drops in. Then once the traumatic ordeal is over...lots and lots of treats! :lol:
Sadly, I have to treat him for parasites right now... So I don't think I should put him in the bath, otherwise that would probably work! (I did the first treatment yesterday morning... And I know this makes me sound like a bad mom) =(

I have my mom and dad around and sometimes my boyfriend. But Heisenberg is so difficult, we all get frustrated and he gets stressed.
Thank you for your suggestions. I'll keep trying and hope it'll work.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You don't sound like a bad mom at all. :) If you were, he wouldn't be getting treated at all! And with hedgies, sometimes when it rains it pours. Lily had a bacterial infection followed immediately by a yeast infection once - and it was my fault for putting too much oil on, which caused the yeast infection. :$ Everyone makes mistakes!

Another thing you could try, since water is a no go for a few more days at least (I would think you'd be fine to put him in water by a week after treatment, but you could try calling your vet to see what they say as well, just in case), perhaps you could try wrapping him in a towel or blanket? Similar to this - http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/11-health/15504-quick-tutorial-syringe-antibiotics.html It might help with holding onto the quilliness, at least! Hopefully someone else (especially if anyone else has experience with eye drops) might have some better ideas though. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I just feel so guilty. =( I know it isn't necessarily my fault but I love him so it's hard.

Thanks for the link too! I will try the blanket/towel method tomorrow morning.
(And I especially liked the video because the lady is allergic like I am and her hog looks like Heisenberg =P)

I'm crossing my fingers for someone who has experience with eye drops to give me suggestions too. But who knows! Maybe the towel will work or he'll start to realize I'm trying to help (that is more unlikely though lol)

I really appreciate your help and you making me feel better!

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
You need to connect to your inner zen and learn zen-like patience. And yes I'm being serious. Patience and lots of waiting is often the key with these types of things.

I had one that had a tumor on his eyelid. After surgery to remove it, his ophthalmologist prescribed multiple eye drops that had to be given 4 times a day. Each had to be given spaced out by several minutes as the eye cannot absorb that much all at once.

The hedgehog in question was a very defensive guy. I never saw him ever lay his head quills down.

I learned to sit with him, in a dimly lit room (enough light for me to see, but low enough he was more comfortable), with soft, soothing music playing, and hummed to him. All the while sitting, waiting like a vulture with the eye drops ready to go at a moments notice for him to show me his face.

In the beginning it just took a lot of time, and I missed his eye a lot. By the end of the 2 week run, we were doing pretty well.

Your best bet is just to be patient, talk to him, encourage him to relax and be ready to drop the eye drop in. I found aiming for the area of the eye closest to their nose (hope that made sense) the best spot to drop it. Sometimes they will close their eye and it will pool in that spot then run in once they open their eyes again.

Also try holding him in different ways to see if he has a position that he is more comfortable in. Instead of laying him on his back in front of you (I'm assuming you tried this one first), hold his back against your chest with your hand against his tummy. Depending on your hand size, I like to position my thumb just above their front legs. With a little luck, you may be able to gain access to his eye.

You can try other tactics, like taking him in the bathroom and turning the water on. With a hedgehog that dislikes water, this is often enough to distract them, however then you get to work with a flailing hedgehog and their eyes are hard to hit when they move around a lot.

You can also try to roll him in a blanket with his head sticking out.

Sometimes these methods work, but I often find it just upsets the hedgehog a great deal and you will never have an easier time of it. Getting them to relax, and helping them to understand that you are helping is the better way. And that often just takes time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts