Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to machine sew some pouches and other accessories, but I need to know if hedgehog toes get caught in exposed seams. If I make the seams hidden, will they dig and pull the threads loose?

For my sugar gliders I only use no-sew pouches in their cage because they get into everything and I'm afraid they'll pull the threads loose and get tangled. Has this ever happened to anyone's hedgehog?

The pouch I got from the breeder has exposed seams. She told me it's fine and so far I haven't had a problem. I've seen some other people put hand sewn items in their cages so I was just curious if tight or hidden stitches mattered.

Thanks

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LarryT: Stitch witchery sounds very interesting. Did it work on fleece? The fabric care instructions say not to iron. I thought the fleece would melt from the high temperature.

mel2626: Thanks for the heads up about the stitch witchery. I bet it came off because of the high heat from the dryer.

A no-sew pouch. Cut slits along the edges of 2 pieces of fleece then tie them together. Use double knots so they'll stay tied better in the washing machine.
This one is 1 piece of fabric folded over to minimize the amount of tying. I put snaps to use it as a bonding pouch, but little did I realize that sugar gliders are masters at untying knots.

Hedgieonboard: Rolling over the opening is a great idea. I've made hidden seam pouches before, but I don't use them inside my sugar glider cage because I've heard stories where gliders chewed/tore the hidden stitches and got stuck in between the fleece layers. Have you ever heard of a hedgehog doing this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.