Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my hedgehog a wodent wheel, and she loooves it, in fact she likes to use it for 5-6 hours a night, isn't this a bit much? I though maybe she couldn't figure out of to get off the wheel, but when I took her out after 5 hours, she wanted back on the wheel.

I have generel faith in most animals not to harm themselves needlessly (well, most animals), but what makes a hedgehog crave this much exercise?

Also, I'm wondering if contact with people as such is good for the socializing process, or if it's pointelss, if it isn't me, her generel care-taker? I'm going away on vacation for most of this month, and other people will be looking after her. 2, to be precise.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm not going to comment on the wheel but as for socialization

I spend at least 30 min with Sylvie every night, preferably more. I notice a DEF attitude change in her between the days that I only handled her for 30 min & the days she was out for a hour or easily more while I was watching tv. The odd occasion that I do not have a chance to handle her & just do a spot clean, feed & water, oh boy you can believe she's cranky with me the next day. I pick this up through her personality, how easy it is to pick her up & the 'little extra' mess that she leaves on her wheel & around her area. :?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I will comment on the wheel...Wodent Wheels are generally not recommended due to the holes in the front...this makes them really hard to clean and most hedgies like to sick their nose out while the wheel is still moving and this could cause an injury with this wheel.

As for the length of time running, we are talking about an animal that in the wild will run up to 10 miles in a given night...so i would say her use is not really that excessive but more on the normal side.

The only thing to really watch out for is make sure that she drinks/eats plenty, and that she doesn't run her little feet raw, this can happen really quickly and will lead to a heart attack for you in the morning when you see all of the blood in the cage....I speak from personal experience on this one.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
If she is not handled, you'll find that she mostly likely be extra huffy when you get back, maybe end up taking a few steps back from what you have achieved so far.

However, that being said...If they are not comfortable with handling hedgies, then I wouldn't force the matter on them. As their nerves would make everything worse. I would suggest using a large ziploc bag to seal in a few of your worn shirts, so that your scent is always around.

As for the wheels, along with what dorasdaddy said, those wheels also keep a lot of fumes from poop and pee trapped inside, as the poop and pee can't roll out of the wheel. So your hedgie is constantly smelling her own feces and urine as she's wheeling for 5-6 hours.
Here are some posts about the bad side of wodent wheels:
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2759&p=22676&hilit=wodent+wheel#p22676
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1683&p=13519&hilit=wodent+wheel#p13519

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks a lot, great advice! I should have checked here before buing that wheel! :) And true, it IS a pain to clean, I don't know why I didn't think of that... I guess I'm just a very new (but very happy) hedgie-owner.

Cheers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my god, how horrible! I woke up this morning with blood on the wheel! I made sure not to put it in until about 2-3 am, I was trying to avoid this, but it happened. I feel TERRIBLE. Poor Polly! :(

She seems okay, lucikly, how to I avoid infections, any ideas?
I thought about just washing her, and have changed her fleece, anything else I could do? Should I call a vet?

Are all wheels potentially dangerous?

Katinka

PS: She seems to be eating and driking plenty...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hog Wallow Industries Cake Walk Supreme wheels are not dangerous. One rescuer (Lori Keller) will only use the CWS wheel for post operative hedgies as there is nothing they can catch stitches or staples on. While I don't plug my own wheel at every chance I did have to chime in here. I think my wheels are one of if not the safest wheel on the market.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Katinka said:
Oh my god, how horrible! I woke up this morning with blood on the wheel! I made sure not to put it in until about 2-3 am, I was trying to avoid this, but it happened. I feel TERRIBLE. Poor Polly! :(

She seems okay, lucikly, how to I avoid infections, any ideas?
I thought about just washing her, and have changed her fleece, anything else I could do? Should I call a vet?

Are all wheels potentially dangerous?

Katinka

PS: She seems to be eating and driking plenty...
She probably just ran her feet raw. This happens frequently to hedgehogs new to a wheel and will happen with any type of wheel. Sometimes you can see that that pads of their feet are raw, but sometimes there is just a little split in the skin between the two outer toes. Often by morning, there is nothing visible wrong with their feet despite all the blood on the wheel.

Give her a foot bath and she will be fine. Infection rarely happens but keep an eye on her feet for a few days. If there was an excessive amount of blood, keep the wheel out for a night.

Wodents wheels are not a good wheel for reasons in links in previous posts. When looking for a wheel you want a solid surface with no seams, gaps, mesh, or openings of any type for little toes or nails to get caught in. Cross bars are dangerous as are the openings in the Wodent wheels. Center bars can rub on the back of larger hedgehogs.

Reapers wheels are wonderful if your cage is large enough to fit one. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OH, I might have over-reacted there a bit. :) I'll get her a better wheel. It's quite funny, I heard myself saying the following sentence to my boyfriend: "I feel like a raven-hedgehog-mum." A raven-mum, in Danish, is a neglectful one.

I was glad to see she was her usual pissy self when I woke her up in the middle of the day. :D

I have a big rabbit cage, so a large wheel will fit. I hope to have her running free more, when I get her litter-trained, it's actually going quite well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts