Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of Inky to show how hedgehog color fades with age. Inky is a WB Chocolate. Sorry for the variation in lighting, the differences should still be apparent though.

(born 4/29/07)

8 weeks

9 weeks

9 months

1 year 2 months

1 year 8 months

2 years

2 years 2 months

2 years 3 months

4 years 4 months

·
Registered
594 Posts
Inky is such the little stud!
I love the 2 years 2 months pic!

Great example of the color fading.
It doesn't look like much but it's still noticeable.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Aw those are adorable. I didn't know that colour faded with age (never had a baby). I love the one of him in his wheel and the 1 yr 2 month pic.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hehe, thanks for the comments. He should fade more, I'll add pictures as he gets older.

·
Registered
475 Posts
LG: I don't claim to be a color expert.....but he "appears" to be an ALGERIAN with the dark colroed mask.....?????.....I'm sure that I'm probably wrong, as I'm sure that you have consulted with the professional. But, I'd be curious as to the reason he is being called a White Bellied.

Pix

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He doesn't have an extensive enough mask to be considered Algerian. It's there, but very faint. It does seem to show up better in pictures than in person. An Algerian chocolate would have a much darker, prominent mask and cheek patches. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our hedgie, Ogden, is almost 5 years old, and I noticed that he has gone from having dark brown and cream colored quills to having caramel and cream colored ones. The fading started on his backside, and is now up to his ears. It's a pretty caramel color. Is this color fading with age like people graying with age?

Heidi

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Added an updated picture of Inky today - one I got of him this last Monday. A general sum up of how his color seems to be doing, his nose faded slightly in the first few years, but not a lot. Then it's his mask that has faded the most, losing the majority of its pigment. Under certain lighting you can still see it but it's very faint nowadays.

His quill color hasn't changed since his adult quilling. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Inky says thanks. :) Yep, his ears have lightened a little bit, but not a whole lot. Basically same as his nose, they did a little in the first few years but haven't changed recently.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts