Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I've been reviewing the dry cat food list and found out the Eukanuba for kittens formula packs a whopping 23% fat, other values relatively normal. Am I poisoning the critter? He's 2 months old, and takes a spoonful a day, along with 2-3 mealies or crickets (I've had him for 5 days, so I'm just starting to know him better).

He's got a big wheel to exercise, but anyway I'd like to feed him well from the beginning.

Is 23% fat too much for a small hedgie or I can keep this food at the table, "weaning" him off fat as he grows up?

Thanks in advance!
Best,
Andres

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
23% is very, very high in fat, I would try and wean him off of it quickly before he decides that he only wants high fat foods. Eukanuba overall does not have very good quality foods, if you look at the ingredients also. My advice would be to get two or three good foods, and weaning him onto those. :)

Eukanuba Kitten Chicken Formula:
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Corn Grits, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Rosemary Extract.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! ****, all the "great" brands on the list are practically impossible to come by here in Mexico. The next best thing for me will be to try and score a bag of Royal Canin.

Andres

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Score! I found Royal Canin Obesity Management for cats: 40% protein, 9% fat, dehydrated chicken meat, sounds great.
I placed some kibble on the food dish last knight along with Eukanuba and from what I can see, he ate one pellet at most. I'll see if it works as a morning snack, I will not add Eukanuba this time and see if he gets the message.
If this doesn't work, I'll be taking some chef lessons and "apron up!"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts