Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
I have one female hedgehog named Remi
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my hedgehog for 1 month and 23 days, as of when I’m posting this, and have had no issues. I recently discovered that aromatherapy helps with my anxiety so I purchased essential oils and a diffuser bracelet. What oils can I safely use around my hog?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been advised that oils that are considered "hot" are considered toxic for hedgehogs. Oils that are considered hot: Cassia, Cinnamon Bark, Clove, Hyssop, Lemongrass, Ocotea, Oregano, Peppermint, Thieves, and Thyme.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Which ones are you using? I've used chamomile and lavender to help calm hedgehogs who were stressed out. I had one girl, who would start biting the skin on her chest or her feet when she was stressed. Any time we had to do something negative (nail trimming, vet visit, etc) I'd resort to chamomile or lavender to help her. It did seem to help her calm down faster.

·
Registered
I have one female hedgehog named Remi
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Citrus, lavender, tea tree (which I’m unsure about) and eucalyptus. I don’t really use them around her though. But I know they have a good sense of smell and if the smell was still on me I don’t want to bother her.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
You'll have to test it out slowly with her. Some will react strongly to smells. Whether its "I need to taste" or a panic is hard to tell until you try it. You may want to try a drop on a cotton ball first, and bring it near her to see how she reacts. You may find that even if she reacts fine to that that you may have to be careful with her trying to nip at your skin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts