Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the pacific northwest and we're having a crazy heatwave right now. Hoggo isn't loving it - not eating a lot, and seriously grumpy if I try to put her in the way of my fan when she's on my lap. Her house is open to my apartment so she can run around at night and it's never been a problem... until this morning. I don't usually check on her in the mornings but I have been this week because of the heat, and sure enough, no hog in house this morning! I looked ~~everywhere!~~. Eventually went into the office and its air conditioned space, hoping I'd find her when I got home. I was worried she was passed out from heat exhaustion because she usually huffs when I disturb her rest, and I didn't hear any huffs when looking for her.

Of course I finally found her this evening: in my closet, underneath some old posters that are underneath my snowboard, which was underneath some old appliance boxes, which are stacked behind my old bike, which has some stacks of panniers, old shoes, and other junk in front of it. Hard week for her, what with me being away on vacation and coming back to a thread around her ankle (it's all good now) and me bugging her every couple hours to see if she's managing the heat, no wonder she tried to hide from me (and the heat)!

Once this heatwave is over I have a lot of recycling and cleaning up to do, thanks to my little bean who was just looking for a cooler place to sleep.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You need to get rid of trash regularly. And it would be nice to have an air conditioner in the room where the animal lives. So it will be more comfortable for you and the hedgehog.

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
I'm sure your little one actually found the coolest spot in the house to hang out. The temps your area were getting... well just reading about them and I wanted to melt.

You need to get rid of trash regularly. And it would be nice to have an air conditioner in the room where the animal lives. So it will be more comfortable for you and the hedgehog.
The heat wave the west side of Canada set an all time high record of 49.6C for the entire country. Air conditioners were put to the test.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live in Western Oregon and that heat wave killed my two guinea pigs on June 28. I am making sure that my new bunny is going to be okay because I don't want another of my pets to die this summer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to get rid of trash regularly.
I do! Thanks for, uh, assuming that I don't? :LOL: I'm sure I'm not the only person who has to occasionally clean/tidy stuff out of a hall closet.

I live in Western Oregon and that heat wave killed my two guinea pigs on June 28. I am making sure that my new bunny is going to be okay because I don't want another of my pets to die this summer.
Oh urofan, I'm so sorry to hear that! It was beyond hot here and I think it was worse down in Oregon. I hope you've found some solutions to make sure your bun is going to be ok!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts