Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a complete wreck. I knew it was coming because she'd been sick for a while, but she seemed ok last night when I put her to "bed".

I woke up today to check on her and she had passed. She was my first pet and I really poured out everything for my hog.

She was feisty, had a big personality and I loved her more than I knew. The first night I had her she dove into a box of spicy chicken wings I had on the coffee table near my couch. I'd left her for all of 30 seconds 馃ぃ.

I was hoping to get the same kind from the same place and let her nibble at them if I knew her passing was imminent. I really regret not doing it.

I don't know why her passing is crushing me so hard. I'm really devastated.

Anyway I came on this forum years ago for first time advice and I figured it would be a good place to end things as well. She lived a good 5 years and I'm going to miss her.

Love you hedgie!

Registered
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is hard, it's okay to be sad about it! I'm glad that she had a good life and a loving owner. You are in my thoughts! I hope that you can think of her in loving memory :)

Registered
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my first hedgehog, Teo, at the beginning of January. I was also devastated and so full of regrets. I wished I had refilled his stockpile of Dubia roaches. I wished I hadn't bathed him the night before he died. I wished I'd spent more time with him recently (it had been a rough December as my husband was in the hospital). Though OF COURSE I was super attached to the little guy, I was surprised that I was so completely crushed by his passing. I'm coming to terms with it now. I know he had a good life, was all about the crazy all-night wheeling and mainly tolerated me for the most part, loved his worms and treats and his supersized cage. It felt too short, and it was short, but it was good and I'm so glad I knew him.

I'm sure your girl had such a great life. You have all these wonderful memories, of her and I'm sure lots of photos. I'm thinking of you. It's a rough time. Be kind to yourself. :)

Registered
I am truly sorry for your lost of Epi. How difficult it is to lose someone you love so dearly and has such meaning in your life. Thank you for loving her and for giving her a wonderful life here on earth. This love and caring will continue as she moves on to her new world. Please take care.

Registered
Bluegirl, I am also so very sorry for your loss of precious Teo. Oh so many "what ifs" we always have. But you also have so many "we did this" and "we shared that." The time you give yourself to grieve will definitely help you to heal. I am so sorry for the pain that you must go through. But remember this.................that pain is because you and Teo were so important in each others lives.

Registered
I am so sorry for your loss of your hedgie Teo. As Shetland said, there are always "what ifs" but it's true for every situation. I guess the price of of having such an adorable pet is that their lives are way too short.

I have found that it helps me to journal about them while you remember--all their funny quirks and what they liked and didn't like. It will help you remember the good times and in awhile, it will be a nice memory to go back and read. It will bring a smile and you will be able to remember them fondly.

I have had 2 hedgies that passed and both times while I cleaned their cages, I found a white quill in their bedding. I take this as a sign from them that they were OK and sending me a message. So look for the little signs from them.

When it's time, you may consider getting another hedgie. I have my 3rd one now and found that they all have had such different personalities. Your heart will tell you when you will be ready.

Sending good thoughts to you.

Donna

Registered
@shetland and @MomLady, thank you so much for your kind words! In the early weeks after losing Teo, I found it helped me to connect with others going through a recent loss of a hedgehog. I also printed out all the best photos of Teo on my Sprocket and made an elaborate journal entry about his life. That, and a similar thank-you card which I sent to the vet and staff who had valiantly tried to save Teo. (They were appreciative.)

I still cry over Teo. But I spend just as much time thinking about the good times with him, like how he didn't hate bathing quite so much once we put his wheel in the bathtub with him.

I hope you are doing OK, AlexWG. I think how much love you shared with Epi in five years' time. She must have had such a good life! I agree with others that eventually we get past the guilt and the "what if's" and are left only with the beautiful memories of our hedgehogs and the fact that we were able to share so many good times with them. At first it seemed like I could not stop my mind from tormenting me about my failings and regrets as a hedgehog owner. But eventually it just stopped happening so much. I am becoming more at peace with Teo's life and even his end. It took me awhile to accept how his final days went, but I am definitely happy that he did not suffer for longer.

It does help me to remember the silly little quirks that my hedgehog had. One thing that really made me feel better was reminiscing with my son (who was the original hedgehog owner) about all of Teo's likes and dislikes and antics. I love that you mention Epi was super feisty and had a big personality. I would love to hear more about her, if you feel like sharing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts