Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here’s the deal i have a big phobia with bugs and i just can’t get my self to give my hog any… and before i get hate i know that they are good for my little guy but i can’t get over this. so with that i was wondering if their were any other kinds of treats i could use as a supplement. i’m open to anything. i’ve tried watering down cat food into a paste as a “fun twist” to the normal but he didn’t think much of it lol, i’ve also gave him some forms of cat treats nothing to big but he didn’t really like them. i’m just looking for a way to keep him happy and me having a easier time giving him that. i also want to make sure that he is getting the nutrients he need that he isn’t getting from not having insects… so any advise is welcome 😁

·
Registered
563 Posts
You can try cooked meats, but to be honest hedgehogs are Insectivores and really do need bugs and cooked meats will not have the same benefits (like chitin, which hedgehogs need!).
I am totally understanding of the fact that phobias are a very real thing and can be very hard to deal with. But, it is possible to work through them - I’m not sure the circumstances surrounding you acquiring a hedgehog, but they are insectivores and it’s not fair to them to deprive them of this important (and enriching) aspect of their diet.
even if you can work through your phobia with small baby steps. Even though dried worms are not great for hedgehogs, they are okay as a rare and occasional treat. You can start here and then move up to canned before trying live. Even canned bugs are better than nothing (they are moist, so can be fed daily unlike dried). Or if a friend or family member can help you work through your phobia by feeding your hedgehog bugs alongside with you, maybe that could help you get over your phobia of bugs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can try cooked meats, but to be honest hedgehogs are Insectivores and really do need bugs and cooked meats will not have the same benefits (like chitin, which hedgehogs need!).
I am totally understanding of the fact that phobias are a very real thing and can be very hard to deal with. But, it is possible to work through them - I’m not sure the circumstances surrounding you acquiring a hedgehog, but they are insectivores and it’s not fair to them to deprive them of this important (and enriching) aspect of their diet.
even if you can work through your phobia with small baby steps. Even though dried worms are not great for hedgehogs, they are okay as a rare and occasional treat. You can start here and then move up to canned before trying live. Even canned bugs are better than nothing (they are moist, so can be fed daily unlike dried). Or if a friend or family member can help you work through your phobia by feeding your hedgehog bugs alongside with you, maybe that could help you get over your phobia of bugs?
i fully understand and i’m not trying to “deprive” him of anything. and i appreciate you admitting that you don’t know the whole story of me having my hedgehog but personally i don’t think you should have came off so rude. i understand that you could be worried or concerned but that doesn’t put you even slightly in the position to basically attack someone. now with that being said i’m fully open to trying cooked meats and vegetables or anything like that. i have tried getting past my phobia and it’s not just something that leaves. you obviously don’t understand the phobia i’m dealing with and would appreciate it if you didn’t try to guess about thing you don’t fully know. my family doesn’t really have anything to do with my hedgehog being that they don’t see that they need to. besides they are also living their lives and are to busy for something like that. i’m not trying to be rude in anyway and i’m sorry if you take it in that kind of way but i am a little offended. so with that i am sorry and thank you for the advise that you did manage to give!

·
Registered
66 Posts
You could try Hedgehog Precision black soldier fly larvae kibble. They also make bug block treats (a mixture of different insects in a dry treat form), and they also make dry beetles and other insects. Just make sure your hedgie hydrates when eating dry bugs so they won't get constipated or dehydrated (dehydration damages their kidneys over time). Hope this helps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try Hedgehog Precision black soldier fly larvae kibble. They also make bug block treats (a mixture of different insects in a dry treat form), and they also make dry beetles and other insects. Just make sure your hedgie hydrates when eating dry bugs so they won't get constipated or dehydrated (dehydration damages their kidneys over time). Hope this helps!
thank you so much 😊

·
Registered
563 Posts
i fully understand and i’m not trying to “deprive” him of anything. and i appreciate you admitting that you don’t know the whole story of me having my hedgehog but personally i don’t think you should have came off so rude. i understand that you could be worried or concerned but that doesn’t put you even slightly in the position to basically attack someone. now with that being said i’m fully open to trying cooked meats and vegetables or anything like that. i have tried getting past my phobia and it’s not just something that leaves. you obviously don’t understand the phobia i’m dealing with and would appreciate it if you didn’t try to guess about thing you don’t fully know. my family doesn’t really have anything to do with my hedgehog being that they don’t see that they need to. besides they are also living their lives and are to busy for something like that. i’m not trying to be rude in anyway and i’m sorry if you take it in that kind of way but i am a little offended. so with that i am sorry and thank you for the advise that you did manage to give!
nothing in my post was rude or an attack on you, so please don’t take it that way.

hedgehogs are Insectivores and insects must be included in their diet, because they’re a viral source of chitin. I didn’t mean deprive in a negative sense on you, as in you were doing it with any ill intent - but because it is depriving the hedgehog of a natural part of his diet, and a rather important one. :)

again, I am understanding of the fact you have a phobia (hence why i wrote that I don’t know the circumstances surrounding you owning a hedgehog, implying that I am understanding of the fact that it perhaps was not your choice to get him given he is an insectivore and you have a a fear of insects). But I tried to offer suggestions for how you could learn to cope with your phobia for the sake of your pet. Which included perhaps having a friend of family feed him for you, or starting with dried and working your way up, etc.

I understand that given your position you may feel attacked by anyone trying to help you - Its not easy feeling like you can’t give your pet what they need with a genuine phobia like this. But that’s no reason to call anyone who is trying to help you rude or inconsiderate or say that they’re attacking you.

insects are a very vital source of chitin for hedgehogs or other important nutrients. Cooked meats aren’t exactly an alternative, so I tried my best to help you given the situation. Hedgehogs also don’t have a caecum so can’t digest veg (even cooked) well. Instead, they get their veggies (and all the nutrients and vitamins they bring with them) through their insects which eat the bugs (which is why I’m trying my best to help you help give your pet the best diet for his health, which unfortunately includes insects).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't think Emc was rude at all - they explained in a pretty clear manner why a hog needs insects and it read to me as a very respectful reply trying to help you manage your pet while also dealing with your phobia.

I feed my gal canned crickets because I don't want to bother with live. You could try buying canned and then freezing 2-3 in an ice cube tray, or asking a friend to do this for you. Then you could plop the cricket-cube into your hog's bowl at feeding time and it would probably thaw in time for them to eat it throughout the night. That way they'd get to eat some insects and you wouldn't have to deal, aside from popping a cube out of a tray. Although, I do find that my after hog munches crickets she'll some scattered uneaten legs around, so cage cleaning might become an issue for you if you try this.

Also from my experience, I've graduated from gingerly using tweezers on my crickets & (live) mealworms to just picking them up with my fingers. Familiarity can sometimes breed acceptance!

I was unable to find crickets in town a while back and I looked for wet cat foots high in black soldier fly larvae, but the percentage of the bug didn't seem high enough for what a hedgehog needs, in the products I found anyway. That's not to say that you can't go that route, just read your labels. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey everyone! i want to first off start by apologizing to emc i was in a very bad state at the time of your reply(not that it makes anything right)… i’m sorry for assuming things and calling you rude. i would like to tell you that i have had my boyfriend start feeding him dried crickets!!(when i’m in a separate room of course) by i do think that i’ll eventually be able to start doing it myself(hopefully). thank you all for the advise and i’m sorry for not accepting it at first

1 - 10 of 10 Posts