Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 year old female with an enlarged heart.

I found out because I took her in with several syptoms... decreased appetite, extreme lethargy, and heavy breathing. The vet did an x-ray and that's what was found. My vet is the best around, but hasn't worked with a hedgehog with an enlarged heart before. She tried a tiny dose of a heart med meant for dogs w/ enlarged heart, but it hasn't helped.

I need to know if anyone knows of a specific medication that has been used successfully on a hedgehog with an enlarged heart. Several people have mentioned that they used one, but no one seems to remember the exact med it was.

Any other words of advice or wisdom for an enlarged heart would be appreciated! She's going downhill fast and I'm at a loss! :cry:

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I don't have personal experience with this in hedgehogs to give specifics.
However here are my thoughts.

How long ago did he get the medication? After meds were given was another X-ray done? If so what was the time difference?

Usually an enlarged heart is only a symptom of another issue. So without treating the issue that is causing the enlarged heart meds won't be nearly as effective, and depending on how long it's been going on it may not return to normal size.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
If they don't see this soon, try PMing Nancy and/or Kalandra. They both have lots of experience with various health issues (unfortunately...) & may have seen this before. Sorry I can't help! :( Good luck with your girl, I hope you guys can find something that works for her.

·
Administrator
3,707 Posts
Thankfully I haven't had to deal with an enlarged heart yet, sudden heart failure, yes, but her heart was normal otherwise.

If no one else posts, I'm going to recommend asking on the yahoo group Hedgehog_help. The group isn't as active as it once was, but it still has a lot of the old timers on there. The only case I can think of at the moment I know they were trying blood pressure meds with the hedgehog.

If you don't want to join the group, send me a PM or email kalandra @ gmail.com and I'll forward it to the list and see what kind of information I can get back of meds tried, etc.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is what I was able to find in my research and asking around, in case someone else comes across this thread looking for answers:

The most common course of action for an enlarged heart for a hedgie is a combination of a heart med and a diuretic for the fluid retention.
Hedgehogs have most commonly been successful on a combo of Enalipril and Furosemide. Some have had success with Pimobendin and lidex (sp?). Lasix was also commonly mentioned, but I think its another name for Furosemide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts