Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I let my hedgehog roam free in my livingroom sometimes because I feel like she might enjoy a walk around and nothing bad has ever come of it.

Last night she was still fine and running around and exploring. She even has a spot she goes to sleep in the day in my livingroom. She seems to enjoy it and it is completely hedgehogproof when it comes to loose wires and things lying around on the floor. Or so I thought

Tonight I picked her up to bond and I put her on my chest and I stroked her. She's a very VERY grumpy hedgehog so her attitude didn't surprise me at first. Then I noticed her one paw looked slightly discolored. After clcoser inspection I saw that there was a lot of hair wrapped around her small foot in two places. I immediately drew her a salt bath and carefully removed most of the hairs with a small scissor. I am 98% sure that I removed al the hairs but she still has a swollen foot and it is still discolored and there is red where the hairs used to be. Like it is an open wound.

I have to say that it is 9:40PM at night and there is not a vet in my town that is willing to see small animals as I've had issues with my syrian hamster being bit by her mate and the vet wouldn't see her because he doesn't see small animals only cats and dogs and large farm animals.

I am at my wits end and I realize that I need to do something about this but I have no idea what to do.

Can someone please give me professional advice? What do I do now? Can I put tissue/baby oil on her foot in case of some stray hairs that the tissue/baby oil can soften and make it release?

Do I give her pain medication for the gash?

She is sleeping right now and earlier she managed to walk and it doesn't look like she is in pain but what would I know I am not her.

She also ate mealworms and chicken and her appetite seems fine

There is also no yellow around the gash

I have to mention it does look like she has attempted to bite at her paw because it looked bloodyish on top of it too before I bathed her but now it is gone

Please reply as soon as you can I will be sitting here waiting for any advice thank you an d have a good night

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Is the color improving any? Or is the swelling going down at all? That will help decide the urgency of the vet visit. You need to find a vet that will see small animals asap.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Baby oil isn't going to help. I wouldn't put anything on it at all right now. The best thing to do is make sure there isn't anymore hair wrapped and to keep it clean. If the swelling doesn't go down after a couple of hours then you'll need to see a vet. I wouldn't give him anything for pain without checking with a vet first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts