Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sylvie has a playpen on my carpet floor. It's a thick plastic table cloth with a fabric backing (to protect my carpet from bathroom accidents), then small animal playpen fence that runs around & toys inside. When I take her out I do turn up the heat in my living room but with spring coming I'm running into the challenge of a) getting the heat back down to a comfortable level for my sleeping & b) the air above the floor is still on the cooler (note - not cold) side. I'm thinking about getting an electric blanket to put under the tablecloth to turn on when she's out playing. The table cloth was originally bought & used for a fondue party so it's not flammable.

Is there any problems or concerns that I'm not thinking of about this set up?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think it would be okay as long as you could control the temperature of it, also if you check on it frequently to make sure its not too hot, and leave some of the playpen without the heat blanket so that if she gets too hot she can move. Or if you have CHEs for her cage you might be able to use those for the playpen, i think that would heat the area up better. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
i would be careful with that electric blanket.
i got one for christmas last year so i used it for a couple weeks....
and my electric bill DOUBLED.
literally went from $120 to like almost $300!
never again
haha

·
Registered
651 Posts
I just stick a few human heating pads on a medium heat setting under my blanket I have at the bottom of my playpen when it gets too chilly, or after a bath to make sure my hedgies are warm and toasty. If you have any of those lying around your house, it might save you on buying an electric blanket and on electricity.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Many people use electric blankets full time for their hedgehogs and I've never before heard of any electricity jump. I used an electric blanket a lot this winter and it never did a thing to my electric bill.

The short amount of time you'd have it on while she is out playing, it is highly doubtful it would add a noticeable amount to your electric bill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts