Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying out different cage ideas for Egon. I notice he likes to poop in his igloo so I made him a shoebox hut too. I lined everything with newspaper because I found it harder to clean a towel every day. It seems to work a bit better. The carefresh bedding (I am pretty sure thats it) worked VERY well but it is also VERY expensive to have to buy for a large cage. ANy other ideas?

I also put some water in his cat food to soften it a little and it looks to me like he likes it a lot. I also keep a water dish and bottle in there so he has his choice. <3

Attachments

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Newspaper is bad to use.

1) it's cold when wet and takes forever to dry
2) you can't guarantee the ink isn't toxic. With his feet walking over the newspaper, ink will rub off on his foot, then he'll lick his foot and ingest possible toxic ink... Not really worth the risk in my opinion.

·
Registered
244 Posts
wow he looks happy. great cage u got there! :) idk about the paper :|
care fresh is expensive the thing is my pet store has sales on them all the time so yah i bought one yesterday 4 instead of 10.99 i got it 4 6.99 i am a lucky duck :mrgreen:

P.S what color is he???, he is beautiful :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
His cage looks good. :)

I second using fleece liners as well. The plain black and white newspaper will not be toxic (they are required to use soy ink) but it can stain and be cold. They are much more comfortable for your hedgie as well. At the very least, I'm sure he would like a small blanket in his igloo to sleep in.

Other than that, looks good. You may end up taking out the water bottle, very few will use one if given the choice - and then, those often are only playing with the ball in the tube. :roll:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey

Thanks everyone....this website is so helpful and everyone is so nice.

My breeder said hes an apricot color but not albino. His eyes are only red in direct light. Hes a great little guy! Thanks for the info on the bedding to use. I wish I was lucky enough to get carefresh that cheap haha. Where can I buy these fleece liners?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
All you have to do is go buy a yard or two of fleece, and cut it to the size of your cage. It won't unravel, so no sewing required. Every few days you can take them outside and shake them off, and then wash them! They last forever. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the hedgie crap make a huge mess of it tho? egon tries to burrow under the towels I put on and in doing so makes a huge mess for me haha. He is getting better with treating his two houses like bathrooms tho

·
Registered
37 Posts
i use fleece liners now i love em as long as you spot clean there great for a few days only thing is when i wash em i got to ring em out and dry them on super duty a few times the fleece absorbs soo much liquid...i got my Tweasal that lil blue bed awhile back and he didnt seem to like it, does your lil hedgie like it?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I find liners really easy. I found a few colours of fleece that I liked at the fabric store (you can also find some really cute stuff at walmart) I bought a meter or two of each and cut out a bunch of liners to the size of the cage. (I had to move all the furniture in my apartment to have enough room to do this) now I have enough liners to change them daily for two weeks (even if I use double layers) I have a laundry bin that I keep the dirty liners in and wash them all before I run out. Before I take the liner out I take a kleenex and pick off all the poop pieces and then flush them down the toilette. Usually there is only one big one and some crumbs that I just shake off into the cage. Then I dustbuster the cage and put in a new liner. I don't always do this daily but if Quigley has been really poopy or makes a big mess it's nice to know that I can and I won't run out of liners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts