Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog likes his dried cat food, egg yolk, peas and apples. He won't touch strawberries. I was wondering if it's ok to give him egg yolk every day or would that be bad for his health? He doesn't like the white of an egg.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The yolk is supposed to higher in cholestrol than the white, though not as much as once thought. I would give it as a limited treat, definitely not every day. Maybe twice a week, at the most.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lizard Girl. I wondered if it was important. He would eat egg yolk every day if I gave it to him. He doesn't seem to like a very varied diet but perhaps some hedgehogs are like that.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yes, some are pretty picky. Keep offering different things, and he may decide he likes new foods. Mine doesn't like much except wet cat food, turkey, and insects.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Isabella is very picky, she'll only eat purina friskies savoury selections
and eggs, (microwaved)

thats it!

how can i get her to eat more or try diffrent things?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think hedgehogs are so diferent and they like diferent things. Just keep trying new, I guess.
Rascal now eats a little white as well as the yolk. he only ever ate the smallest amount but I have reduced it now to twice a week

·
Registered
261 Posts
You cook it! It can be scrambled up, but not dairy added, or you can hard biol the whole egg and give your hedgie whatever part you would like.
Most people say all meats should be cooked before you feed it to them. There are some meats, like pork, that they should not eat at all. Check the threads in the diet and nutrition for more info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts