Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first hedgie last Wednesday. She is 7 weeks old. She really hasn't been eating any of her food since I've had her. She has eaten some melon and has been drinking. But the cat food hasn't been touched other than a few pieces here and there. It's the same food the breeder was feeding her, so I don't know what's up. I know she needs to get the proper nutrition, especially at this age. I'm worried! If I need to start syringe feeding her I will, but I don't know what to feed her if I do. =(

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You can crush her current kibble and add some warm water to it to soften it and make it easy to syringe. (Or just add some warm water[hot water to make it soften faster] and mush up the kibble that way as well, just be sure to test the temperature before you feed)
A popular food for syringing is Hills A/D. But you have to get that from the vets.
As for treats, do not give her anything new that she is not used to, or had before.
Some hedgies can go on food strikes when moving to a new home. You can try placing a few kibbles by where she is sleeping.
Have you been weighing her? To make sure she doesn't lose any significant weight.
What is the cage temperature and light schedule?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually haven't been weighing her. I will definitely start that ASAP though. She was weighed at the vet the other day, so I'll start from there. The temp in her cage is around 74 degrees. I have a light on from around 9 AM to around 8 PM. Then, she has her wakey time. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You could try too put some of the food in her house with her sometimes they are too scared to come out. Mine would come out but nights my husband is home he tends to hide out in his house so when I made his igloo cover I made the fabric in the doorway longer than I needed and put his little food dish offset from the door. Now he'll relax when eatting instead of being on edge and trying to rush so he can run back in. I agree with Immortalias advice and would go with that because you want to make sure she gets some food into her but you can always try this if you want for when your hedgie goes back into the cage to see if it will get her to eat in her cage :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sometimes they don't eat when in a new environment. The first month I had Quigley he ate maybe 5-10 kibbles/night. One week he only ate about 3 kibbles/night. Now he eats almost 75. I didn't syringe feed because I thought he was getting just barley enough and there was the odd night that he would eat more. It sounds like syringe feeding is your next step though so I hope that goes well and your hedgehog starts eating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts