Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight i caught my little guy Brutus eating some of his poo! this is the second time ive SEEN him do it, which would make me assume hes done it more while im asleep. I know dogs do it and it doesnt bother them but im a little worried its bad for my hedgie.

Unfortunately i believe he just started quilling and hes being extra grumpy so i cant really tell if his mood has changed other than the attitude change feom that. He's still eating and drinking fine and his poo hasnt changed consistance or color or anything. i just want to know if i should take him to the vet or not.
Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The first thing that jumps to mind is that he isn't getting enough nutrition... What are you feeding him?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fuzzie did this too. At the time she was eating hedgehog food. Which of course is a big no-no. Ask anyone here. I switched her to Royal Canon Light 40 and she stopped right away. In my experience, it's a nutritional deficiency.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Dog's don't usually do it unless they are not getting appropriate nutrition. The only animal I've heard of it being normal for is rabbits. They digest their food twice. Hedgehogs should not need to do this. What kind of food are you feeding?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a brand of food called sunseed, it is hedgehog chow. it has 37% protien and only 7% fat. its made of crabmeal and mealworms and such. ive tried giving hit treats like bananas, hard boiled eggs and goldfish (only about half of one because of the cheese), the only treat he's eaten so far is the gold fish.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Sunseed is an ok food, but it is not nutritionally complete. It is FINE to be in a mix WITH at least 2-3 other good quality cat kibble.

I would suggest picking up a bag of cat food off of Reaper's list and start feeding that along with the sunseed, otherwise, he will end up starving himself while still "eating" as he is getting too little actual nutrition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts