Hedgehog Central banner

Eating or lack thereof

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dorasdaddy 
#1 ·
Dora has always eaten her kibble fairly well, usually eating 1 1/2 - 2 tbsps a night. We recently discovered through the help of this board that the food that we were feeding her as her primary food source was not approprate as the fat content was too high. We bought the Castor and Pollux Natural Ultramix Indoor Feline to add to what she was eating and slowly ween her off of the other food. Ever since we added the new food she has decided that she doesn't really need to eat ANY kibble, or not much anyway. She will still eat her treats and a few pieces of the old kibble but not much at all of the new kibble. She is still producing a very poopy wheel every night and wheels like mad for about 6 hours every night. What if anything do i need to do to get her to start eating more of her cat food? I also want to add that she lives primarily with my girlfriend and comes to my home on the weekends when my girlfriend comes to visit. My girlfriend decided that maybe Dora should stay a week with me to give us a chance to bond, and the start of this stay coincided with the drastic reduction in food intake.

#4 ·
If she still has a very poopy wheel, that's good. At least you know she's eating enough to get it that way. :lol: Count kibble so you know exactly how much she's eating. If her appetite doesn't increase soon, I'd say get her to a vet.

#5 ·
Some hedgies get easily stressed out, and spending time in a new place (without mommy around, I'm guessing) could definitely stress her out. Some hedgies don't even like being moved into a new room of a house.
Like LizardGirl said, count her kibble and just make sure she's eating. They sometimes go on strike for a day or two where they go without much food. As long as she's eating some (and hopefully more each day) there probably won't be much of a problem. Just keep an eye on that kibble, and if it continues for more than a few days consider a vet visit.

#6 ·
Dora went back home with mommy Monday night, and is now officially off of her hunger strike. Eating all of her old kibble, and moist of her new kibble/grape nuts mix. Plus ate a tablespoon of baby food last night for a treat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.