Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hedgehog friends,
My hedgehog Zula is already a picky eater and she would hardly eat anything I give. i found that she really liked chicken baby food. so when we cuddled i would give her some to help her bond with me. now that she is older she wont eat much of her baby food and wont even touch it when i give it to her. for another example, i gave her meal worms to try, first i gave them to her when i held her and she seemed really interested, she would even lick them, but would not eat them. so i tried to put them in her cage (i killed them so they wouldn't crawl around every where) but once she was left alone and my room was quiet she inhaled them.
I am just wondering if she doesn't fully trust me? her quills are relaxed and she doesn't hiss as much either. she really likes to burrow in my blankets and especially burrow right next to me and cuddle next to my leg. she lets me touch her belly and her quills and yet also runs into my blankets where i can't pet her.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
A lot of behavior can be explained by prey behavior.
A prey animal, like a hedgehog, doesn't want to be a prey. He didn't wake up and say today is a good day to be a snack. Almost all behavior can be explained by keeping that in mind.

Certain activities leave them more vulnerable. Eating is one of them. Don't believe me? Eat a steak, while being chased by a madman in a car. It's difficult to run away and eat. One gets sacrificed. If you stay and eat, you get eaten. If you drop the food and run, you have a chance at survival.

Let's you pet her belly, she trusts you but not fully. Remember she woke up and said its not a good day to be a snack. So with some activities she's ok with and others are a bit too much for her. She may never trust you fully 100% of the time. Example. I have one that is really trusting, strangers can pet her belly. She can go into a classroom of preschoolers and be cool about it. However, if she is asleep and I touch her, I am clearly going to eat her.

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
Its not necessarily she doesn't trust you, but this may just be who she is. I've had some that if they ever didn't eat a mealworm I'd worry, and others that it wasn't a big deal. Some are just all about food, and others are well... other things like hiding in a snuggle bag are more important.

I'd worry more if you have had her a long time and this is a major change in her behavior. If you haven't had her long, or its always been this way, then it may just be her personality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea those are some good points! Yea she's always been this way! She's only about maybe 9months old! I am still finding ways that she likes better when she comes out for cuddle time! She's likes being underneath my blankets, she'll cuddle up on my chest. More recently I have found that she doesn't mind it as much if I pet her when she's hidden in the blankets and its dark! Now she can't resist her meal worms even if I give them to her while we're cuddling! Every once in a while shell ball up if she doesn't really like what I'm doing! Mainly when I pick her up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts