Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a problem with their hedgie eating carefresh? We use it in the litter box and I found our girl gaging and throwing up this morning, she seemed ok after she stopped so I cleaned it up and went back to bed I didn't see any carefresh in it at that time but the light was low and I wasn't looking for it so there might have been some. When I woke up again I found little patches of what looked like half digested food also with bits of carefresh in it. I took it out imediately, just sucks cause we just bought a huge bag of it for like 30 bucks an used it like twice an now this happens... Can't find the receit either. I'm just wondering if she was eating it for the same reason cats and dogs eat grass to aid them in throwing up or not. Guess it's best to just be safe and leave it out from now on to be sure.

·
Registered
902 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you bought it from petco or petsmart they will let you return it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Zeus did that when we first started using Carefresh, back when that was what we used. Anything new in his house must be a snack, right?

I cut the sleeves and neck off a T-shirt, so it was a tube, then put his litter box inside and taped it so he couldn't get into it. He could still get in the litter box (we use a Sterilite paper sized drawer from a 3-drawer desk set), and smell the Carefresh. He still used the litter box. After a few days, we took the T-shirt material off, and I assume since now it smelled like his poop and pee, he didn't eat it. He hasn't tried it since.

I'm sure it won't work for everyone, but it's an idea if you want to try it. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Eating Carefresh can cause impaction. Keep a close eye on her for the next week and make sure she is having normal poops.

·
Administrator
3,589 Posts
Call the store and ask if they will take it back.

Petco/petsmarts policy is that they will take items back without the receipt, for in store credit. I don't know if they will accept an open bag of carefresh though, but it is worth asking. I do know they have taken back food that has been opened though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts