Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month's contest theme is EASTER! Bunnies and chocolate and baby chicks oh my!

Entries will be accepted until the 15th. Only one photo per person, and only the first 10 pictures will be entered. Get them in fast! Voting will start on the 16th.
Also, although this is a religious holiday, please try to avoid anything religious in your photos. Thank you! :)

Once the 10 entries are in: Feel free to share your pictures still! Although they won't be in the contest, people will still enjoy seeing everyone's themed pictures.

·
Registered
408 Posts
dorasdaddy, i think you want to eat the hedgehogs in that pic...

(okay, that was edited to say that after i posted this, but just ignore that i said this read on and it'll look funny)

·
Registered
408 Posts
wow i didnt seee that i feel soooo dumb. u know what? i'll edit my post to make u look stupid. (not that much. it'll be funny)

·
Registered
408 Posts
yay. now u said that the pics says below it that u want to eat the hedgeis. hehe. oh, me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
heather, ur pics always turn out amazing!!!!!!! wat kind of cam do u have?????
plus Ziggy is always adorable!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks Sebian and hedgieluver! :)

hedgieluver said:
wat kind of cam do u have?????
I have a Canon Rebel Xti (DSLR). Unfortunately the LCD screen is busted so I can't change my settings or preview my photos, but I am pretty handy with photo editing programs so I can usually fix them up after I get them on my computer. I also have a Canon PowerShot, but the photos don't turn out nearly as good when I use that one (but it is more handy to carry around when I'm out and about.)

I think one of the tricks to getting un-blurry hedgie photos is to use focus-lock (and definately not use the auto-focus that has all the different points, because that will usually focus on something still in the background instead of a squirmy hedgehog!) First, I set my cameras so that only the middle auto-focus square focuses. When I take photos I put my subject's eyes in the very middle (under the focus square), press the shutter half-way down to "lock" the focus, then recompose my shot and push the shutter the rest of the way down to take the photo. I'm sure you can google your camera type and "focus lock" and it will explain how to use it much better than I could.

·
Registered
412 Posts
drpepperheather said:
I think one of the tricks to getting un-blurry hedgie photos is to use focus-lock (and definately not use the auto-focus that has all the different points, because that will usually focus on something still in the background instead of a squirmy hedgehog!)
I also find that you really need to take a LOT of pictures. My shutter usually scares most of my hedgies, so I just keep clicking until they get used to the sound and look up. I usually get 2 or 3 good pictures for ever 25 I take.. if I'm lucky :roll:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also find that you really need to take a LOT of pictures. My shutter usually scares most of my hedgies, so I just keep clicking until they get used to the sound and look up. I usually get 2 or 3 good pictures for ever 25 I take.. if I'm lucky
I agree. I get a slim "nice picture to so-so picture" ratio, hehe.

People, if your camera has macro, (which nearly all do) use it! It's symbol is the little tulip/flower, it helps you focus on small/detailed objects.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If anyone is interested, I got a few pics of Inky outside today. You can find them here:
http://inkyhedgie3.webs.com/apps/photos/

Heather, that might be a good idea. We can't have someone winning every contest! :lol: Ziggy can dazzle us again next month! (Thank you for sharing those pics, by the way - they are fantastic)

Great pics so far, everyone! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's Spike.. this was the best pic out of 20 ish! :lol: Can't get him to stay still for long!
He wasn't a fan of the colored straw!

·
Registered
124 Posts
LizardGirl said:
Heather, that might be a good idea. We can't have someone winning every contest! :lol: Ziggy can dazzle us again next month!
LOL, I totally wasn't saying that I was going to win!! :lol:

I was just thinking that since there are sooo many members on this forum and only 10 entries allowed for the contest, it would be more fair to let someone else have the spot since I've already won a contest. But I still like taking the themed photos to share...plus they make for super-cute holiday e-cards to send to my family and friends!

And like you all have been saying, I too take HUNDREDS of photos to get maybe two or three that actually turn out. Horray for digital cameras and 4GB memory cards!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts