Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around on Vine and I saw this: https://vine.co/v/MlUuYOwHzv6 I've just never seen or heard of hedgehogs taking/needing dust baths. I know chinchillas do, but I would be concerned about dust getting in the hedgehog's respiratory system and such. Has anyone had their hedgehog take a dust bath, and if so how did their hedgehog react to it? (I'm not planning on ever giving a hedgehog a dust bath anytime, I was just intrigued about them). Thank you! :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I actually was going to do this, because I read in a couple of places that hedgies May enjoy it. I went so far as to order chinchilla dust to offer them. But I continued to read and decided against it based on what you said about respiratory issues and a few other things that just seemed wrong.
Do you know anyone who needs a small jar of chinchilla dust? :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I don't, but if I find someone I'll let you know. :lol:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
This is pretty common in a lot of (European) countries, I've never heard of any problems with dust bathing. Most people use chinchilla sand or something similar.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I give Tinkerball sand baths, and she really loves it. I buy chinchilla sand, but I stay away from chinchilla dust because I have asthma. I've heard of some hamster owners using playground sand instead of chinchilla sand, and I can't think of any reason hedgehogs couldn't use it either.

·
Banned
533 Posts
Whatever you do do NOT use chinchilla dust. It is too fine and can cause very serious URI's. If you do decide to sand bathe I suggest using actual sand and not the chinchilla dust. Always supervise it as well, make sure they do not scrape their skin or breath in, make sure you do not use outside sand or sand for childrens play toys as they can harbor parasites and mites. There is still a big risk of a URI because the sand will always contain dust. They can also scrape their feet if they get too into it. Hedgehogs in the wild will bathe in sand to clean themselves so it is natural for them and healthy as it does not get rid of their natural oils which keeps them warm and clean. Bathing with water too much can get rid of this oil so they cannot maintain body temperatures. That is why when I do do real baths I don't use soap as it will wipe away too many natural oils and can cause them to be too cool. There are some better sands than others, but again do NOT EVER use chinchilla dust.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I forgot to mention -- the hamster owners buy their playground sand at a store and bake it to kill any organisms.

·
Banned
533 Posts
There are still things that they could eat or get in their mouth that can make them sick. If you do decide to do it I recommend getting special sand used for reptiles as it is sterilized and made for animals unlike playground sand.

·
Banned
533 Posts
Oh and no calcium sand as it can cause crystals to grow in their urinary tract and it is extremely painful and can cause them to bleed internally!

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think chinchilla dust is volcanic and really is very sharp, so I agree: No chinchilla dust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts