Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was researching pictures of baby hedgehogs, and came across this cutie. I'll have to say, it's one of the cutest hedgie babies I've seen, and it has big floppy ears! Is it normal for them to have ears this big? His paws look fairly large as well. But, He's super cute either way!
Here are the pics!(if these belong to any of you, I apologize for re-posting them :roll: )

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
If I remember right, that hedgehog is an Egyptian hedgehog, which has bigger, pointier ears than African Pygmies. They're adorable little guys. :D

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I think the person who took these pictures finds them in her yard in Italy? I want to say Italy that doesn't make much sense. :roll:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
That would be such a cute thing to find in the yard :) I guess in a way its good we don't have native hedgehogs or I'd probably have a million if I could walk out back and find them lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, well he is so cute!
And Italy? Wouldn't wild hedgehogs be umm, wild?
I think I might have to get one of these little guys later on in life :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
haha !! I think my mom (as much as she loves Miss Muffet) is still holding out hope that I'm going to get one of these long-eared cuties one day!! lol Adorable!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mel2626 said:
haha !! I think my mom (as much as she loves Miss Muffet) is still holding out hope that I'm going to get one of these long-eared cuties one day!! lol Adorable!!!!
I wish there was a breeder close to me, because I would highly consider getting one!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The person who took the pictures is BlueLunarRose on Flickr. Yes, she does find them in her garden. They are wild but are a bit bold and won't completely ball up when caught.

Long-eared hedgies are pretty rare, and most as pets are in Europe (and obviously Africa). I have not heard of a breeder that actually intentionally breeds long-eareds, but Tan on this forum has a few.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LizardGirl said:
The person who took the pictures is BlueLunarRose on Flickr. Yes, she does find them in her garden. They are wild but are a bit bold and won't completely ball up when caught.

Long-eared hedgies are pretty rare, and most as pets are in Europe (and obviously Africa). I have not heard of a breeder that actually intentionally breeds long-eareds, but Tan on this forum has a few.
And they don't bite? That one in the pictures looks very very friendly!
Man, I should start breeding them here in America. I'd be rich!!! JK :mrgreen:

EDIT: I read somewhere that the long-eared hedgie is much differnt than the African pygmy. And that they are rather aggressive. That's why I can't believe that she(the woman in the picture) is just holding it, after catching it.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Babies are far more oblivious than adults in hedgies, with all species. The long-eared hedgies are far more aggressive and need more space, and IMO more naturalistic care. Deneen and I tried to find as much information on them as we could, when she was getting Tsunami (a Brandt's hedgie).

You would have to illegally import the hedgies, or put them through 6 months quarantine (which costs several thousand dollars, I think) from what I have heard. Quite impractical. :lol: Too bad.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hedgieonboard said:
That would be such a cute thing to find in the yard :) I guess in a way its good we don't have native hedgehogs or I'd probably have a million if I could walk out back and find them lol
I couldn't agree more!!! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts