Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the weather change, it's been getting drier around here. I'd also put a small heater underneath Lily's cage, under her igloo, to keep her warm while I'm school and the space heater can't be on (she's not one to come out during the day anyway). I'd had the heater on all the time, but I've now changed that to only being on while I'm gone and the space heater is off. I changed it because Lily has started losing more quills, and seems to be scratching more, her skin is dry. My mom thought that it might be too much heat that was causing her skin to be worse. So I cut down on the heating pad and upped her flaxseed oil to every three days or so.
However, when I was holding Lily last night, I noticed she had a patch on her side that seemed like a big flake of dry skin coming off, with about 6 or 7 quills attached to it. I accidentally bumped it while holding her to look at it, and the whole flake came off. It didn't seem to bother her, nor was there a sore at that spot when I looked at it. But it just surprised me to see such a large flake come off, with quills still attached to it. She's never had this happen before, not even last winter.
Does this sound like a bad case of dry skin, that could be solved with flaxseed oil and the humidifier? Or could it be something like a bacterial infection? Is a vet visit in order?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe try the oil and look at it for a few days and if it continues, try the vet. I have a similar issue with my Xena at the moment. Actually, there seems to be large number of people owning hedgies with inexplicable quill loss at the moment...

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know there's been theories mentioned about season-related quill loss, where they shed quills because of the seasonal change, either in the fall or spring. Maybe it's that?

·
Registered
106 Posts
one of mine is the same-horribly flaky skin and dropping a lot of quills - he's been to the vet today and theres no infection and no presence of mites that he could see- my vet is thinking its due to the central heating and drying the air out - we are treating for mites in case also - just because I dont think he knew what else to do!! I'm going to try the flaxseed oil too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts