Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a brand new hedgie from the local pet store after two months of calling around trying to find a local breeder. Turns out, ours only sells to the mom & pop pet store. So, I'm not sure exactly how old my hedgie is. What I do know is they had him in a tiny aquarium cage with just crickets and a water bowl with no wheel, so he's grumpy but active now.

We have him in a wire cage with white carefresh bedding (we use that with the guinea pig also), a wheel, and a house in a very warm room (it stays ~75*F-77*F year round). Today while he was getting used to me I noticed a lot of white dandruff looking stuff on my black pants (it wasn't moving, thank goodness because I would have freaked out). I thought this was just the bedding until I noticed he also has little white spots all over his face and ears. His ears are smooth, not raggedy and it doesn't really look like the pictures of fungus I've seen online. Is this likely a dry skin thing or dust from the bedding? Also, should I give him a bath soon to figure out for sure? I was waiting to do this until he was aclimated.

I'd have pictures but he won't hold still for me. I'd appreciate any advice as I tend to be a nervous mommy with all my pets.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If it is dry skin, you can drip some olive oil on his back. Also, you can put a but of flaxseed oil on his food which is what I do, and it works for me.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's hard to tell whether or not the white flakes are from the Carefresh or from dry skin. If you notice your hedgie itching a lot though, it's most likely dry skin. The dustiness from the Carefresh probably doesn't help with the dry skin either. If it's a severe case of dry skin (lots of dandruff), or baths/oil doesn't help, it would probably be best to change the type of bedding you're using.

If you just got your hedgie, I would wait a few more days before attempting to give him a bath. It wouldn't hurt to give him a bath whether or not it's dry skin - I would recommend using plain oats in a sock and then swishing it around in the water until it gets cloudy. and what Teddi said is helpful as well, you could either put olive oil directly on his back using a toothbrush, or you could put a few drops in the water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts