Hedgehog Central banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Feeding a variety is actually a good thing, since we don't know a lot about hedgehog dietary requirements. By offering several kinds of food, we can hope to cover all the bases. My mix, though it changes once in a while, has always consisted of at least 6 foods. I also think to myself maybe it's a bit much but I really enjoy buy/mixing the food, seeing his opinions, etc.

It's pretty common to have hedgies pick out their favorite foods and eat those first, even if you are only feeding 2 foods. I wouldn't worry too much, I don't think variety will encourage a food strike. :lol:

As for trying the food out... that is a good idea. Some kibble shapes are unpopular with hedgies, some formulas are, etc. Offer it and see if they will eat it for a few nights (sometimes they will eat it the first night, but never again after that). They you know you want to keep it. Petco has a 30-day return policy, if the hedgies decide they don't approve.

Looks like you've got everything down. Hope your hedgies are cooperative! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok cool. Yeah I hope they like all of the foods I picked out. I guess the good thing is if they don't like one of them, it'll be easy to swap it or just take it out & redo my ratios for the mix.

Misty

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does anyone know anything about harmony Farms indoor cat food?

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Cellulose, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Whole Carrots, Peas, Alfalfa Meal, Ground Flaxseed, Cranberries, Blueberries, Apples, Canola Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Taurine, Chicory Root Extract, Mannanoligosaccharides, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (natural source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Proteinate (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Proteinate (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Proteinate (source of Chelated Manganese), Potassium Proteinate (source of Chelated Potassium), Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide (source of Iodine), Sodium Selenite, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifodobacterium Thermophilum, Bifodobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium.

Crude Protein 32.0% min
Crude Fat 15.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.5% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Ash 7.0% max
Magnesium 0.10% max
Taurine 0.15% max
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.2% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 2.75% min

I would probably be mixing it with something that contained more fiber. I was just curious because it is sold at wegmans :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
rebeccaeric18 said:
My hedgie absolutely loves Royal Canin Preventative cat food!
That's probably cause it's the most fattening pet food in the world!!! :lol:

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't feed it to your hedgehog. I've seen cats and dogs get VERY chubby on that food.

That and the fact that it doesn't really meet any of the hedgehog food criteria...

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Have you tried the Vet Clinic in Kimberley? it says online that they carry pet foods. Are there other types of Royal Canin available? Royal Canin 27 is a good choice, lower in fat. Can you order online??

I used to have to drive 3 hours to get the food for my hedgies...but now a Global Pet Foods opened an hour away.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Rebeccaeric - you also don't need to throw the old food away. You can keep adding small amounts to your hedgies other food once you get another brand so there's a mix (a small amount due to the fat content) & watch your hedgies size. Also the SPCA & other animal welfare places will often gladly take food.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The vet clinic in kimberley carries the exact same as cranbrooks clinic. The vet told me this is the best choice for my hedgehog so i bought it.
What kind of royal canin is the best then.. thats as good as its going to get for her anyway..

·
Registered
651 Posts
rebeccaeric18 said:
The vet clinic in kimberley carries the exact same as cranbrooks clinic. The vet told me this is the best choice for my hedgehog so i bought it.
What kind of royal canin is the best then.. thats as good as its going to get for her anyway..
Royal Canin/Medical 100% guarentees their food, you should be able to return it and get a full discount. But it will be OK to feed in a mix as a "junk food". What I meant earlier was that I wouldn't exclusively feed that food only. There are a lot of "pet store" brand foods that are better for hedgehogs. If you have to go with Royal Canin veterinary brand food, ask about their diet foods. There is a food called "weight control" and one called "calorie control" which have more suitable nutrient levels. However all of these foods should still only be fed in a mix.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Okay i bought her the calorie watch one .. I forget what its called but it has high protien and like.. 8% fat...
that was the lowest fat i could find.
So ill mix the 2

·
Registered
651 Posts
rebeccaeric18 said:
Okay i bought her the calorie watch one .. I forget what its called but it has high protien and like.. 8% fat...
that was the lowest fat i could find.
So ill mix the 2
That's good but youre still gonna want to mix some other high quality foods. Royal canin has a lot of corn, which hedgies can't digest so if you can find at the VERY LEAST 1 or 2 natural food brands that have no corn and meet the protein/fat standards, that would be ideal for your mix. Also Royal canin's protein levels are artificially inflated which can be hard of hedgie's kidneys and intestines so I would be concerned if the only brand your hedgie is eating is royal canin.

I know food is a pain, it took me months to sort mine out. But it is essential to giving your hedgie the best and longest life possible so I hope you can find some better foods to mix :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thankfully my cat likes the preventative one! And shes super skinny so its okay..

I will look at the cranbrook pet supply store for the "Natural Blends?"

·
Registered
651 Posts
rebeccaeric18 said:
Thankfully my cat likes the preventative one! And shes super skinny so its okay..

I will look at the cranbrook pet supply store for the "Natural Blends?"
That's good to hear, prevenative is a pretty decent cat food so I'm glad she likes it!

By Natural Blends I just mean food that claims to be "organic" and contain "no corn, preservatives, etc.". Most of the foods on the recommended list are "natural" and they tend to be best. I'm sure you will be able to find at least one of the foods on the list :)

EDIT:
And it doesnt have to be on the list to be good. as long as it meets the protein, fat and ingredient requirements

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You want to shoot for protein around 30-35% and fat below 15% unless your hedgehog is a runner and needs the extra fat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So i found the chicken soup for the cat lovers soul.. i bought the adult formula.. is was high in protien low in fat..
Should i mix this with the Royal Canin Preventative or the Calorie Control food?
or keep it on its own.

61 - 80 of 321 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.