Hedgehog Central banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 321 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,963 Posts
Would Royal Canin Light 40 be okay as a junk food?

Ingredients:
Chicken meal, corn, wheat gluten, corn gluten meal, brown rice, pea fiber, rice hulls, chicken, natural chicken flavor, beet pulp (sugar removed), chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), dried brewers yeast, salmon oil, fructo-oligosaccharides, sodium silico aluminate, salt, calcium sulfate, dried egg powder, potassium chloride, soya oil, choline chloride, sodium tripolyphosphate, DL-methionine, taurine, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], L-carnitine, green tea extract.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude protein (min) 37.0%, crude fat (min) 9.0%, crude fiber (max) 9.3%, moisture (max) 9.3%, magnesium (max) 0.1%, taurine (min) 0.2%, vitamin E (min) 500 mg/kg, vitamin C (min) 200 mg/kg, omega 6 fatty acids (min) 2.57%, omega 3 fatty acids (min) 0.43%, green tea extract (min) 100mg/kg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I'd say that's still too high in protein, myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
awww I was really excited to see this post until I started to search for the products and most of them are not available in the UK :x I dont know what to do now - I know we can get Purina so wil have to look for those specific ones listed and Royal Canin but never fully looked into these properly oh and just to check - foods labelled 'hairball control' etc are safe to use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I've got the same problem, as i'm in the UK.
I found a brand that looks to be OK?

it's Hill's Feline Adult Light Chicken

Ingredients:
Chicken (minimum Chicken 40 %; minimum Chicken and Turkey combined 55 %): Chicken and turkey meal, ground rice, ground maize, maize gluten meal, cellulose, soybean mill run, animal fat, digest, potassium chloride, L-carnitine supplement, calcium sulphate, salt, taurine, vitamins and trace elements. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract.

(For 300gram pack)

Protein: 30.9%
Fat: 8.2%
Fiber: 7.3 %
Calcium: 0.87%
Phosphorus: 0.73%
Magnesium: 0.05%
Vitamin A: 20000.0 IU/Kg
Vitamin D: 1300.0 IU/Kg
Vitamin E (tocopherol): 120.0 mg/kg

The link is here: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_ ... dult/13480

What does everyone think about using this as the main 'healthy food', and adding other mixes to it? This seems to be the best available to me over here. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
All I could find that was on the list at Walmart today was Natural Life Adult. Breeder tells me the hedgehogs are on Wellness, but I couldn't find that at walmart or Petsmart. Eventually, I'll pick up another bag or two of stuff and make a mix, but will the hedgehog I'm getting in two weeks do alright on this stuff alone for a few days? I guess what I'm asking is, are hedgehogs so sensitive to foods that an abrupt switch like that would kill them or maim them? Just don't want to hurt the little guy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,914 Posts
JahJahWarrior said:
All I could find that was on the list at Walmart today was Natural Life Adult. Breeder tells me the hedgehogs are on Wellness, but I couldn't find that at walmart or Petsmart. Eventually, I'll pick up another bag or two of stuff and make a mix, but will the hedgehog I'm getting in two weeks do alright on this stuff alone for a few days? I guess what I'm asking is, are hedgehogs so sensitive to foods that an abrupt switch like that would kill them or maim them? Just don't want to hurt the little guy...
Hey here is link to the wellness site
http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/
Look at the top right and there is a spot that says where to buy.
Good luck with your new hedgie.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,963 Posts
JahJahWarrior said:
All I could find that was on the list at Walmart today was Natural Life Adult. Breeder tells me the hedgehogs are on Wellness, but I couldn't find that at walmart or Petsmart. Eventually, I'll pick up another bag or two of stuff and make a mix, but will the hedgehog I'm getting in two weeks do alright on this stuff alone for a few days? I guess what I'm asking is, are hedgehogs so sensitive to foods that an abrupt switch like that would kill them or maim them? Just don't want to hurt the little guy...
If the breeder is already feeding Wellness, they usually will offer to send home a small bag of their mix or the food they feed with the new baby. You could ask and see if you could get a bag that will last for 2-3 weeks. Then after (at least) a week or so of just the old food, you could start mixing in the new one. You don't want to do a sudden change if you can help it. They already go through quite a bit of stress moving to a new home, and changing their food abruptly will only add more stress to the little guy. It wouldn't kill him, but it would upset his stomach and turn his poop green.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
I've read some people saying Wellness may be too rich for some hedgie's bellies. Recently I started adding Wellness to Sylvie's food. She seems to love it & anoints with it every once in a while. Her running & pooping habits haven't changes - so can I guess that it's ok for her & not "too rich?"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,963 Posts
silvercat said:
I've read some people saying Wellness may be too rich for some hedgie's bellies. Recently I started adding Wellness to Sylvie's food. She seems to love it & anoints with it every once in a while. Her running & pooping habits haven't changes - so can I guess that it's ok for her & not "too rich?"
Sounds like it's fine. :) Sometimes it's just a matter of how much of it they get. I believe Azyrios said that his hedgehog does fine if he only gets a certain amount of Wellness, like 20 kibble, but if he gets more than that amount, his poop gets very stinky. My hedgehog has been getting Wellness for several months and has eaten up to 30 kibble, I think, without having a problem with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
I have yet to find a cat food other than Chicken Soup For The Cat Lover's Soul that our girl will eat... I wish I knew what I could mix in that she'd actually like. :(

Right now I'm mixing Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck with it, but she won't eat it. She picks out all the CSFTCLS bits and that's it... I tried Wellness - and thank goodness she didn't eat it! I didn't even begin to think of checking the expiration date when I bought it from the haughty, upscale, "holistic" pet food store... (They should be selling fresh products, no?!) Then I checked all my dates a few days ago, only to find it expired LAST YEAR!! (I should go complain to the store, but I hate confrontation and I have no receipt either. *sigh*) Lesson learned either way... I won't be shopping there anymore. (I much prefer the store where we buy our dog food anyway, they just aren't open on Sundays, which is why I went to this other place. Our usual store has samples though, which is definitely nice.)

I've also tried Innova Reduced Fat and Evo's (wet) venison stuff...

I guess I could just keep going down the list... Hrm. I'd ask for recommendations, but I have a feeling it won't make much difference - I mean, that green pea and duck stuff is supposedly loved by like almost everyone else's hedgie that's tried it, no? lol

Long story short: check your expiration dates when you buy it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
ana said:
I have yet to find a cat food other than Chicken Soup For The Cat Lover's Soul that our girl will eat... I wish I knew what I could mix in that she'd actually like. :(
...
(I much prefer the store where we buy our dog food anyway, they just aren't open on Sundays, which is why I went to this other place. Our usual store has samples though, which is definitely nice.)
...
I guess I could just keep going down the list... Hrm. I'd ask for recommendations, but I have a feeling it won't make much difference - I mean, that green pea and duck stuff is supposedly loved by like almost everyone else's hedgie that's tried it, no? lol
wish I could help you. Sylvie had no interest in the Chicken Soup so I think our hogs may have different taste buds going on. Thank goodness for sample bags. She does love Go! & Wellness
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
silvercat said:
wish I could help you. Sylvie had no interest in the Chicken Soup so I think our hogs may have different taste buds going on. Thank goodness for sample bags. She does love Go! & Wellness
That's funny! That's what I've been hearing from other owners too - they love wellness, love green pea - but totally don't care for csftcls! :lol:

Our girl is sooooo finicky too. She won't eat anything but CS, mealies, and peach baby food... She won't actually go after mealies or peaches though - she'll only eat mealies when I actually hand feed them to her (maybe she doesn't see/smell them for some reason?) - but she gets reeeeally excited when she sees me opening that little blue and white carton. (She can go from little-miss-huffypuffypants with her "how dare you wake me up?!" attitude to *snap* oh, hey, whatcha got there?! :D" in a flash. :lol: ) Peaches are the same way - if I put them in a dish for her, she won't touch them - but if I personally give her a spoon, shell lick it all off and anoint about it too!

I have yet to actually figure her out when it comes to food and treats...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
ana said:
Long story short: check your expiration dates when you buy it!
Definitely check expiration dates. I never buy if there is less than 6 months remaining on food. One time I had a baby that wasn't gaining and went to Petsmart to buy Esbilac Puppy formula. I thought the can looked rather dusty and for good reason. It had expired 3 YEARS ago. All of the cans of puppy and kitten milks were very old. Imagine if someone had bought it and used it without reading the label. Interestingly, some of the same cans were still on the shelf the last time I was in there so pointing it out to them accomplished nothing other than they removed the can I showed them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
Nancy said:
Definitely check expiration dates. I never buy if there is less than 6 months remaining on food. One time I had a baby that wasn't gaining and went to Petsmart to buy Esbilac Puppy formula. I thought the can looked rather dusty and for good reason. It had expired 3 YEARS ago. All of the cans of puppy and kitten milks were very old. Imagine if someone had bought it and used it without reading the label. Interestingly, some of the same cans were still on the shelf the last time I was in there so pointing it out to them accomplished nothing other than they removed the can I showed them.
I did that once (buying without reading the label) but it was for human food. It was for my picnic on my way to Toronto. Needless to say I HAD to stop at every rest area because I got sick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Okay. I am not new to hedgehog land, but I'm having a food mini-crisis. Which isn't really a crisis at all, but merely me trying to figure out what's going on.

The last time I bought food - I had gotten the Royal Canin Light 37. Not my first choice, but it was available, reasonable, and my kid ate it.

However - I can no longer find any trace of RC Indoor Light 37. It appears that there is a new version, Light 40.

Anyone know offhand if ingredients are the same? I kept the top part of the bag as a visual cue of what to buy - but it never occurred to me to keep the ingredients listing.

Or - better yet - anyone know if the Indoor 27 is a similar shape/makeup? If I read right, it has better meat sources, so if it's similar, I might be able to trick 'em....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
AprilF said:
Okay. I am not new to hedgehog land, but I'm having a food mini-crisis. Which isn't really a crisis at all, but merely me trying to figure out what's going on.

The last time I bought food - I had gotten the Royal Canin Light 37. Not my first choice, but it was available, reasonable, and my kid ate it.

However - I can no longer find any trace of RC Indoor Light 37. It appears that there is a new version, Light 40.

Anyone know offhand if ingredients are the same? I kept the top part of the bag as a visual cue of what to buy - but it never occurred to me to keep the ingredients listing.

Or - better yet - anyone know if the Indoor 27 is a similar shape/makeup? If I read right, it has better meat sources, so if it's similar, I might be able to trick 'em....
The 37 has been discontinued I'm pretty sure, or at least it's not where to be found around here. The 40 is basically the same according to a Royal Canin Rep I spoke too, just 40% protein instead of 37%. This is definitely pushing the protein limit however, especially since most of it is artificially boosted. My little girl was on it but I took her off of it for this reason. If you take a look at the food list there are a lot of better alternatives on there, some of which I'm sure are availible in your area. If you do still stay on the RC though I would probably go for the 27. They are are basically the same, the numbers just indicate protein content. Just make sure you got a few more better foods in your mix, cause too much protein causes liver and kidney failure.
 
21 - 40 of 321 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top