Hedgehog Central banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
usually i give my hedgie chicken soup cat food, but i have problem to find it now. and now i am planning to switch to another brand(nutrisource kitten), what i want to ask is about the ingredients, compositions is same :
Ingredients 1

Chicken, chicken meal, rice, pea flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), pea protein, dried egg product, potato protein, tuna meal, natural liver flavor, yeast extract, sunflower oil, oat fiber, brewers yeast, alfalfa meal, tomato pomace, beet pulp, flax seeds, potassium chloride, salt, phosphoric acid, minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate), DL methionine, yeast culture (saccharomyces cerevisiae, enterococcus faecium, lactobacillus acidophilus, aspergillus niger, bacillus subtillis), cranberry powder, taurine, chicory extract, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), choline chloride, inositol, yucca schidigera extract, rosemary extract.
Guaranteed Analysis

Ingredients 2

Chicken meal, rice, salmon, chicken liver, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), flax seeds, tuna meal, pea protein, pea flour, dried egg product, natural flavor, yeast extract, beet pulp, oat fiber, brewers yeast, alfalfa meal, tomato pomace, brown rice, potassium chloride, salt, phosphoric acid, sunflower oil, minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate), yeast culture (saccharomyces cerevisiae, enterococcus faecium, lactobacillus acidophilus, aspergillus niger, bacillus subtillis), cranberry powder, taurine, chicory extract, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), choline chloride, inositol, yucca schidigera extract, DL methionine, rosemary extract.
which want is better? is it recommended from the ingredients view?
thanx

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kourt101606 said:
Is holistic select chicken meal for cats a good type of food?
Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Oatmeal, Anchovy & Sardine Meal, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Natural Chicken Flavor, Menhaden Fish Oil, Tomato Pomace, Carrots, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Peas, Dried Beet Pulp, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Organic Quinoa, Inulin, Apples, Blueberries, Taurine, Cranberries, Dried Kelp, DL-Methionine, Vitamins [Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Folic Acid], Minerals [Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, and Copper, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus licheniformis, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger Fermentation Products, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative).

Crude Protein Not less than 32.00%
Crude Fat Not less than 20.00%
Crude Fiber Not more than 2.80%

The ingredients look fine to me, but the fat is kinda high. If your hedgie is a runner or has trouble keeping on weight, I'd say go for it, otherwise I would look for something with lower fat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My breeder that I got one of my hedgies from had said that purina was good to feed them, and since finding this website I have found out not. I was wondering if natural balance green pea and duck mixed with either chicken soup for the cat lovers soul light or some kind of wellness would be alright? Or is it too rich?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kourt101606 said:
My breeder that I got one of my hedgies from had said that purina was good to feed them, and since finding this website I have found out not. I was wondering if natural balance green pea and duck mixed with either chicken soup for the cat lovers soul light or some kind of wellness would be alright? Or is it too rich?
Wellness can be a little rich for some, fine for others, but the other two are great foods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sarahg said:
Kourt101606 said:
Wellness can be a little rich for some, fine for others, but the other two are great foods.
Thanks, if you don't mind me asking what kinds do you feed yours?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I feed a mixture of : Solid Gold Katz'N'Flocken (lamb), By Nature - Chicken, Salmon & Duck, and CSFCLS - senior. She also gets some Royal Canin Kitten food sometimes as a treat. Other treats - Wellness healthy indulgence (wet cat food), fruit/vegetable baby food, crickets, mealworms, waxworms.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
The same brands and everything should be fine, but many breeders suggest using the kitten versions instead. The higher fat is better since they're still growing and need it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am trying to get everything in order for when I get a hedgie and I was wandering.. If I did both kinds of Wellness & Say a store bought junk cat food.. Would that be a good diet for my hedgie friend? I read that you should mix three different brands of cat food to make their diet mix?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tishy Tasha said:
I am trying to get everything in order for when I get a hedgie and I was wandering.. If I did both kinds of Wellness & Say a store bought junk cat food.. Would that be a good diet for my hedgie friend? I read that you should mix three different brands of cat food to make their diet mix?
Using three kinds is a good idea but I wouldn't do a grocery store brand for one of them. I'd just pick another high quality food from the list, such as Blue Buffalo's healthy weight.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I DONT GET IT IM FEEDING MINE WRONG FOOD I THINK HELP I HAVE special kitty original!!! IF SO CAN I HAVE A LIST I CAN UNDERSTAND BETTER

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
bj1998 said:
I DONT GET IT IM FEEDING MINE WRONG FOOD I THINK HELP I HAVE special kitty original!!! IF SO CAN I HAVE A LIST I CAN UNDERSTAND BETTER
You just print out a copy of the list and you can take it to the pet shop with you and choose one from it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well it is an interesting discussion and i really like it.All posts are informative and good job by everyone.keep posting.My question is this tell me is dry food best for cat? i mean can we give liquid food to cats? Which food is best fry or liquid?

·
Registered
41 Posts
How do you feel about Wellness core? It's 50% protein and sounds like it would be good for hegies. I was told by my vet to feed that to my ferrets as they are meat eaters too and require a lot of protein. I thought pretty pets foods were a good food. :shock: So my little boy is going to get his food changed!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did a search and couldn't find anything on this cat food, I'm thinking of adding it to my mix, I found it in one of the pet supply stores here--I already have SG katz-n-flocken (protein-34%/fat9%) and CSFCLS light adult(protein-32%/fat 12%) This light formula is protein-31%/fat 10%) and the ingredients look good to me but I don't know if I'm missing something :?
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/ ... 46019.aspx

I only started giving Cupcake a couple pieces of the SG the day before yesterday (mixed with the Exotics hedgie complete the pet store convinced us to get :roll: and the cat kibble from the breeder) I was afraid to give him the Chicken Soup because it's a hairball formula and I didn't know if that is harmful to hedgies--but, it looks like some of you feed the senior hairball formula of CSFCLS so this one should be ok too (I hope) :?

I hope I can ask this here :?
One of my dogs was on an homemade vegetarian diet for the last 5/6 years because she has something wrong with her liver and can not process meat protein very well. Every once in awhile we'll try something new and a couple months ago we stumbled up this dog food and now she gets a small amount mixed with her veggies and pasta. she seems to be doing really well on it ***knocks on wood*** and is finally gaining weight***knocks on wood again***
She particularly likes the first 3 listed and the one with the tiger prawns is her favorite--I was thinking of letting Cupcake having a taste in a few months as a treat--but wanted to see what y'all thought before I seriously consider giving him any. Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/product_d ... 5f73ae2200

201 - 220 of 321 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.