Hedgehog Central banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the newest list. Updated 06/20/09 When choosing a food to add to your hedgies diet the first thing is to READ THE LABEL. It doesn't matter what the product is being marketed for (cat, dog, hedgehog, whatever) as long as it meets a hedgehogs nutritional requirements. To learn about food labels, ingredients, and a ton of hedgehog info Laura Ledet's Website http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/comemeetmyfamily/tableofcontents.html is one of the best on the internet. Once you have learned about hedgie diet needs, found a store that sells a product you think is great, bought the food and brought it home, and given it to your little bundle of quills.........your hedgie may refuse to eat it. All hedgies have different personalities and tastes. So in the end your hedgie will have a say in what food selections you make.
I created this list to help the "newbie" African hedgehog owner narrow down what dry cat foods meet hedgies nutritional requirements. With so many brands and formulas on the market finding ones for hedgies can be a tedious endeavor. I will continue to update the list from time to time as new foods become available and when old formulas change names or are reformulated.
I am a strong believer that a healthy diet prevents sickness and can extend our quilled friends lives.[attachment=2:23cej4oo]Dry Cat Food List.2.0.pdf[/attachment:23cej4oo][attachment=1:23cej4oo]Dry Cat Food List.2.0.doc[/attachment:23cej4oo][attachment=0:23cej4oo]Dry Cat Food List2.0.htm[/attachment:23cej4oo]

Attachments

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Here is a chart I made over the last week or so of many cat foods available to us hedgie parents. I'm aware that not all cat foods are on here, but I tried to get as many as I could. I'll be updating it as often as needed. REMEMBER THAT MANY OF THE FOODS ARE NOT RECOMMENDED! They are just included so you can compare.

The chart has the brand, food name, protein, fat, fiber, moisture, and the first five ingredients. Sometimes a company will provide both the minimum and maximum amount of things, such as fat, so it may vary a few %. Foods such as Spa Select is under the brand Blue Buffalo, and Science Diet is under Hill's Science Diet. If you are having trouble finding something, you can ask. If the food isn't on the list, I will add it.

The foods on Reaper's Dry Cat Food List are highlighted in green.

If you know of a food that is not on the list, or found any errors (I typed it all by hand...) please don't hesitate to email me or PM me. I will fix it. :)

http://hedgehogcentral.com/CatFoodChart6.html

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to let you all know that slowly slowly the pet food industry seems to be getting better. This must be as a result of the massive recalls of toxic food additives from China not long ago. This is good for us hedgie owners as more companies are changing to "all natural" ingredients. The latest addition to the list Authority cat foods is an example. They have changed the bag from white to purple and now say there are no artificial anything or do they use by products. So the food is "all natural" They still however have food fragments as fillers in the food. Saw dust is "all natural" but I don't wanna eat it. So you still need to read the label carefully. Having one "junk" food in your hedgies mix is a common practice of many breeders and enthusiasts. Gail Dick of Millermeade Farms explains it as the "french fries" of your children's diet. You don't want your kids eating nothing but french fries but some is ok and can make them happy. So having one "junk" food in your mix is fine. Finding out which "junk" food your hedgie likes is another matter. The other benefit seems to be if you feed your hedgie nothing but the absolute best food it may be actually too rich for them and can cause kidney and liver problems. They are opportunistic scavengers in the wild. So the current thinking is nothing but all rich foods are really too good in a sense. So it is a good idea to limit protein percentages to around 30 percent, fat percentages to below 15, and fiber to 15 percent or higher. The fiber is the difficult part due to cats not needing as much fiber in their diet as hedgies. Many people add Grape-nuts cereal, infant rice cereal etc. to their hedgies mix to add more fiber to the hedgies diet. In the wild chitin serves as the major source of fiber which they don't get in captivity. Possibly someday we may get one product that is perfect for hedgies but right now a mix seems the best along with good wholesome treats.

·
Registered
543 Posts
There are many higher fat foods that can be fed to hedgies if they don't become overweight. The list is a starting point only. Once you find out what your hedgie needs you may feed them something not on the list. For example LizardGirls hedgie is a runner and very skinny and small. So he NEEDS more fat in his diet. Baby hedgies NEED more fat. Pregnant and lactating (producing milk) mothers NEED more fat. So if you just fed them from the list you would be ignoring their nutritional NEEDS.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Ahhhh ya, that makes sense. Thanks!

Now I'll just have to go find a petshop/pet depo that carries those. Though I have an idea of where I'd find them, at least the Natural Balance, cause I've seen that before.

Thanks again! ^_^

·
Registered
68 Posts
When doing a mix, do you want food that have diffrent levels of protein, fat and fiber content. I am looking at trying a mix of the innova senior and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, but I see that they are almost exact in protein and fibre content, the only diffrence is the fat %. Would it be ok to do this mix?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a food not on the list due to the first ingredient not being meat. I have decided to add this food to the list in a special category. The reason I have decided to make this one exception is due to everyone whom I have heard try this food say their hedgies absolutely LOVE it. I have been feeding it since it was first available and mine love it too. It is a great food nutritionally. Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck is a wonderful addition to any hedgies diet. It was first formulated as venison and green pea but was changed during the pet food recall. It was developed for cats who were allergic to normal cat foods. So the ingredients are not something found in other cat foods. The ingredient list is very short keeping it simple seems to be the key. While I wouldn't suggest this food be fed by itself it is a food that is a high quality addition to any mix.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I agree that Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck is a great food. I added it to Inky's mix a few months ago, and he LOVES it. It's gone before anything else in his dish.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I found a food for Dora that i know isnt on the list because of the fat content, but since she is a hardcore wheeler that doesnt seem to put on weight we decided to get it to add to her mix. It is Halo Spots Stew SENSITIVE CAT-Wholesome Turkey

Ingredients: Turkey, Pea Protein, Whole Dried Eggs, Oats, Pearled Barley, Vegetable Broth, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Pea Flour, Turkey Liver, Salmon, Flaxseed, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Pea Fiber, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Green Beans, Carrots, Cranberries, Zucchini, Alfalfa, Inulin, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Salt, Folic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcous Faecium, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein - 32.0% Min
Crude Fat - 16.0% Min
Crude Fiber - 6.5% Max
Moisture - 10.0% Max
Ash – 6.5% Max
Omega 6 Fatty Acids - 3.1% Min*
Omega 3 Fatty Acids - .45% Min*
Taurine - 0.1% Min
Lactobacillus Acidophilus - 120,000,000 CFU/lb Min*
Bifidobacterium Longum - 120,000,000 CFU/lb Min*
Lactobacillus Plantarum - 120,000,000 CFU/lb Min*
Enterococcous Faecium - 120,000,000 CFU/lb Min*

I love the fact that even though it is a little high in fat, it is still all natural AND it has Flaxseed to help with dry skin and Acidophilus to help with digestion.

We got it at Petco and when we inquired about sample bags the associate told us the company policy is that if you return the unused portion with the receipt within 30 days they will refund the purchase price. I was unaware of this previously, but it is a great way of trying out something new in the mix without being a total loss if the picky prickly one decides that it is not worthy of her palate.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was poking around the web after reading that post about dog food (and checking out the ingredients in our dog's food) and ended up looking at cat foods as well... I happened to run across Innova Low Fat Dry Cat Food and I was wondering if there's a reason it's not on the list... the first 2 ingredients are turkey and chicken, fat content is low, etc...

http://www.innovapet.com/product_line.a ... t-analysis

Edit: Oh, nevermind, lol... I see "reduced" fat is listed near the top of the list, so I'm going to go ahead and guess that it's pretty much the same thing, lol...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Innova seems to change the name of the "light" formula. I don't know if it is different for different countries but they do seem to change it more frequently than others. Also it was brought to my attention that Natural Balance reduced calorie met the list requirements. The old formula's 1st ingredient wasn't meat but is now. If anyone runs across a food they think should be on the list please let me know. I do try to keep up with name and formula changes but I don't catch them all. The list keeps getting longer due to more pet food companies making foods that are all natural and meet a hedgies nutritional needs. This is a good thing. Hedgies will have a wider selection of appropriate foods.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Was looking around at a pet store near me and found one not on the list...At least I don't think so o_O Might be good for those who like fish.

Performatrin Ultra
Slim Care Salmon & Olive Oil

Ingredients:
Salmon
Salmon Meal
Whole Brown Rice
Oatmeal
Chicken Meal
Dried Egg Product
Pearled Barley
Herring Meal
Dried Potato Product
Brewers Dried Yeast
Dehydrated Vegetables (Carrot, Celery, Beet, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach)
Dried Whey Protein Concentrate
Green Peas
Alfalfa Meal
Olive Oil (stabilized with mixed tocopherols)
Chicken Cartilage (source of Chondroitin)
Whole Cranberries
Lentils
Sunflower Oil (stabilized with mixed tocopherols)
Canola Oil (stabilized with mixed tocopherols)
Fresh Whole Sweet Potato
Fresh Whole Carrots
Whole Blueberries
Kelp
Fresh Whole Apples
Whole Flaxseed
Sea Salt
DL-Methionine
Chicory Root Extract
L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C)
Green Tea Extract
L-Carnitine
Glucosamine Hydrochloride
Taurine
Lecithin
L-Leucine
Lactobacillus Acidophilus
Bacillus Subtilis
Bifidobacterium Thermophilum
Bifidobacterium Longum
Enterococcus Faecium
Spirulina
Vitamin E Supplement
Yucca Schidigera Extract
Choline Chloride
Zinc Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc)
Iron Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron)
Rosemary
Manganese Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese)
Basil
Sage
Dandelion
Potassium Chloride
Copper Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper)
Niacin
Vitamin B12 Supplement
Vitamin A Supplement
Calcium Pantothenate
Thiamine Hydrochloride
Riboflavin
Cobalt Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Cobalt)
Vitamin D3 Supplement
Folic Acid
Biotin
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
Potassium Iodine
Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity)
Sodium Selenite

Guaranteed Analysis
NUTRIENT
Crude Protein 33.0% min
Crude Fat 10.0% min
Crude Fiber 5.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Ash 6.0% max
Leucine 2.2% min
Taurine 0.2% min
Calcium 0.8% min
Phosphorus 0.6% min
Magnesium 0.09% max
Vitamin E 200 IU/kg min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 6.5% min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 2.4% min
Glucosamine* 400 mg/kg min
Chondroitin Sulfate* 100 mg/kg min
Carnitine* 675 mg/kg min

·
Registered
581 Posts
Immortalia said:
Was looking around at a pet store near me and found one not on the list...At least I don't think so o_O Might be good for those who like fish.

Performatrin Ultra
Slim Care Salmon & Olive Oil

Ingredients:
Salmon
Salmon Meal
Whole Brown Rice
Oatmeal
Chicken Meal
Dried Egg Product
Pearled Barley
Herring Meal
Dried Potato Product
Brewers Dried Yeast
Dehydrated Vegetables (Carrot, Celery, Beet, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach)
Dried Whey Protein Concentrate
Green Peas
Alfalfa Meal
Olive Oil (stabilized with mixed tocopherols)
Chicken Cartilage (source of Chondroitin)
Whole Cranberries
Lentils
Sunflower Oil (stabilized with mixed tocopherols)
Canola Oil (stabilized with mixed tocopherols)
Fresh Whole Sweet Potato
Fresh Whole Carrots
Whole Blueberries
Kelp
Fresh Whole Apples
Whole Flaxseed
Sea Salt
DL-Methionine
Chicory Root Extract
L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C)
Green Tea Extract
L-Carnitine
Glucosamine Hydrochloride
Taurine
Lecithin
L-Leucine
Lactobacillus Acidophilus
Bacillus Subtilis
Bifidobacterium Thermophilum
Bifidobacterium Longum
Enterococcus Faecium
Spirulina
Vitamin E Supplement
Yucca Schidigera Extract
Choline Chloride
Zinc Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc)
Iron Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron)
Rosemary
Manganese Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese)
Basil
Sage
Dandelion
Potassium Chloride
Copper Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper)
Niacin
Vitamin B12 Supplement
Vitamin A Supplement
Calcium Pantothenate
Thiamine Hydrochloride
Riboflavin
Cobalt Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Cobalt)
Vitamin D3 Supplement
Folic Acid
Biotin
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
Potassium Iodine
Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity)
Sodium Selenite

Guaranteed Analysis
NUTRIENT
Crude Protein 33.0% min
Crude Fat 10.0% min
Crude Fiber 5.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Ash 6.0% max
Leucine 2.2% min
Taurine 0.2% min
Calcium 0.8% min
Phosphorus 0.6% min
Magnesium 0.09% max
Vitamin E 200 IU/kg min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 6.5% min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 2.4% min
Glucosamine* 400 mg/kg min
Chondroitin Sulfate* 100 mg/kg min
Carnitine* 675 mg/kg min
The only thing i could see that wouldnt be too good for them would be the brewers yeast, this is the yeast left over after brewing beer.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Ah yes, I see.

XD I must be looking very odd to pet stores....Standing around for an hour, looking at all their cat foods....Taking pictures of cat food on my phone(so I'd remember the brand and name) :roll:

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Lol, I was thinking the same thing to myself when I was trying to figure out what foods to get Lily at Pet Supplies Plus...Stood there for at least half an hour. :lol:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What do people think og "Go!" or "Now!" foods?
Go: http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=122
Now: http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=163

I know the GO! is high is fat, but as Sylvie is a very slim active gal I'm not overly concerned about that. I'm interested in the Now! as it's grain free.

Also, on the note of protein & analysis I know it's good to aim for:
Protein 30%
Fat 15%
But why is that? I mean on the protein levels. I've noticed Sylvie REALLY likes her proteins (meats over veggies anyday). Is there a reason protein is capped at 30 & not higher? I was looking at Orijen (http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/CatAnalysis.aspx) which is a 45% protein. Very high I know. Is this something I should avoid? (again, the high fat doesn't deter me much as Sylvie is very slim).

1 - 20 of 321 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.