Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,

Is there supposed to be both foods offered daily? If so, is it the same general brands we're looking for in the moist dept. as well? I gather the mealworms and/or crickes should be given several times per week, right? Is it the smaller ones you're using? I used to give these to my leopard gecko, but it began to bother the boys as it was recommended we decapitate them first so they couldn't injure the gecko. The worms at the care center seemed much smaller and while at the pet store the other day, I noticed a variety of sizes available that our previous store did not have. The new place has them in containers in the refrigerator. Is that what you're all buying?

Thanks again,
Dana

·
Registered
395 Posts
Most people only offer dry kibble unless their hedgehog has a mouth disease, loss of teeth or goes on a hunger strike, in which case they should be fed soft food, or even syringe fed.

You should be fine feeding a mix of two high quality cat foods from Reaper's List.

As for meal worms, i personally feed them live. Vex quickly turns them into paste before swallowing them down.

There are a variety of meal worms, and as they grow they change sizes. Some meal worms are classified as giant meal worms, and are genetically altered to be bigger.
There are also bugs that look like meal worms called super worms. These worms can bite a hedgehog from the inside if not killed before swallowing.

The basic rule is if you get super worms, cut off the head, if you get meal worms, they will be dead. (Meal worms will die quickly after being chewed up where super worms are more resilient, also meal worms will not bite.)

As for crickets, i usually break one of their legs and let vex hunt them down. He has great fun being a big scary predator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts