Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Spike's story.... I bought him from a guy who wanted to find him a good home as he is extremely busy with training to go to Afghanistan. He told me spike was about a year old when he got him from a previous owner and he has had him for 2 years I think he said so Spike is therefore about 3 or older. I have had Spike since about 23rd Sept. Since then I have built him a larger cage and changed his bedding from critter care paper stuff to fleece blanketing. I have strips cut up for inside his house. He insisted on some changes in the setup of his home and I moved it around till he stopped doing it himself. The temp in my room stays at 78-80 degrees so the temp is good and he eats and drinks very well but on any given day will drop from 3 to 10 quills. After all the reading I have done on here and other sites he shouldn't be doing that. Now he was never socialized so when out of his cage he is always a huffing and puffing ball of quills so what I get to see of him there are no bald spots.....Could he be quilling at this age???? It's making me slightly nervous that he's dropping so many.......Help please.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
He might be shedding from stress, which is understandable. Switching owners, and all the changes that come along with that could bring it on.

No, he wouldn't be quilling at his age.

Has this been going on since you got him, or started up a bit later? If it doesn't improve within a month or so you might try taking him to your vet. They can do some different tests to see if maybe he has an infection or mites or something along those lines.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It actually started after I had brought him to the vet for a check up as he was new to me and I wanted to have him checked out. I will keep an eye on him and if I notice any patches of baldness I will get him in ASAP.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I am pretty much positive that Spike is quilling....so maybe the guy was wrong on his age, I dunno but he is dropping like a mad man and on careful/panicked inspection lastnight I saw little ones coming through his skin. So they are growing back. I will keep everyone updated on how things go cause I am still kinda worried about the age thing but maybe he's a late bloomer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts