Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been feeding my girl Flukers Freeze dried meal worms since I got her. The label says they have 48.8% protein 26% fat 6.9% fiber and 5.9% moisture they are 6 dollars for 1.6 oz. I called Flukers and the rep said they are safe for hedgies but because they are dry they may cause constipation if you feed them too many at once and to always allow the hedgie a chance to drink after giving them. They were one of the few things I could get her to eat when I first brought her home and I am pretty sure they were the main reason behind her putting on enough weight to deliver her pups safely. She was underweight and scrawny when I got her and the nearest store that sells live mealies was two hours away. Also an alternative to meal worms is boiled eggs if you are still having trouble

·
Registered
26 Posts
Be careful with the brand you get and try to get the one for reptiles as they have the oh so important moisture content. You can try dipping them in water 5min before feeding them to your pet to re hydrate them.

Also for keeping the one you get from the pet store alive longer try putting a damp paper towel and some grass cuttings in a plastic container with holes. Your thermostat on your fridge may be set too low.
Here is a site to help out http://www.exoticnutrition.com/limein.html
Also you will note that the nutritional values for live meal worms are
Fat 27.2%, Protein 49.6%, Carbohydrates 6.9 grams/100, Calories 471 calories/100 grams
according to this site
And Flukers is only marginally off from this

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.