Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! This is my first post on hhs! I'm new to all things hedgehogs too! I have a 9 week old female hedgie named Millie and just yesterday when I went to pick her up I noticed her feet and hands (or paws? haha:grin:) looked really weird. I know hedgehogs get dry skin but didn't know if it was definitely dry skin for sure. I also noticed she was scratching herself a lot. I don't know if this is something important to mention but she has been loosing quills which when it first started, I assumed was quilling so im all that worried about that. I hope its nothing I should be worried about. Anyway, I researched what to do if your hedgie has dry skin and saw that flax seed oil was good but I didn't have any at the moment and couldn't really go out and buy some at the moment either so the alternative was and oatmeal bath and to rinse her with a couple of drops of olive oil. I did that and cuddled with her while she was drying up then I put her back in her bed. Today when I got home from work I went to pick her up and saw it got worse! Now her skin seems to be still dry and maybe pealing and there's red bumps or just red dots on her. At first I was like oh my gosh! It must be something worse but maybe I had to keep cuddling with her after the bath? maybe I didn't let her dry enough? But I was so worried I looked up what was wrong and saw that its either mites, dry skin or fungus. I went out to buy flax seed oil and was so worried I wanted to give her some right away and the only thing I give her during the day is some meal worms so I put one drop of the oil in one meal worm and she seemed to have either liked it or just was really hungry or just wanted to smell out the oil. To me it seemed like she just really loved the stuff. So then after that, I checked to she if she was okay and noticed her ears were dry too! So im thinking, "What is going on with her!" and looked up how to fix that and put one drop of flax seed oil on the back of her ears and I checked up on her an hour or so later and her ears seem perfectly fine now but her feet and hands are still bad :( I dont know whats wrong with Millie but its really worrying me to the max. I know I should really take her to a vet but today is labor day and her vet isnt open so I have to wait until tomorrow but I wanted some insight or advice from you guys to see if you might know whats going on. I also forgot to mention that I read that there's a way to check for mites and I tried it and didn't seem to find any mites so now I really really don't know whats going on or what to do. Please help! Thanks guys! I'm sorry it was so long I just want someone to help me out.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Take a deep breath. It will probably be ok. You have done everything you can that I personally can think of and the next step is to get her to a vet to check for mites or fungus or whatnot skin infection.
Someone else may come along with a great idea to try out that might help, but I assure you that you being ok is most important for your hedgie right now.
You've done great.
Now get her to the vet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry for sounding so worried and stuff haha I just really care you know? You're like their mommy and I just want the best for her. I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow :) thanks!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have 6 of the wonderful terrifying little amazing creatures. And believe me that someday I will be doing the exact same thing most likely. And someone will need to remind me to breathe too.
It's ok. Go love on your baby and get thee to the veterinarian :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! :) & oh my! That's a lot of hedgies! That's so cute though! May I ask you a question? Have your hedgies had babies? I want hedgie babies. I always wanted to experience an animal of mine having babies and being part of the process to take care of them and nurse them.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
I do not recommend breeding hedgehogs. Maybe try a dog, or a cat if you are looking for that experience early on. Hedgies are amazing wonderful sweetheart grumpy angry hissing balls of quills and just getting to know one hedgehog can be hard work.
I ended up with 5 quite by accident. The 6th is recent and had his own special circumstances. I've been through hedgehog birth and post birth and the whole deal. It is fricken hard. And heartbreaking. And very expensive. I wouldn't give it up for the world. But at this point in my life I'll easily say I never want to do it again either.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I really wouldn't breed any animal intentionally unless you've done the research and are ready for the experience. If that is the sort of experience you want, there are opportunities to foster animals that are already pregnant that need homes. My step mother had a couple of mommy dogs that she kept until forever homes were found for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts