Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to knoe if my dog can live with a hedgehog. Some have mention that there are bacteria. Please I need to know urgently...... Please and is it easy for a hedgehog to get fleas?

Thz

·
Registered
395 Posts
There is no reason to introduce a dog to a hedgehog. A dog and a hedgehog can live in the same house, as long as they do not come in contact. Contact between a dog an hedgehog has no purpose, and usually ends in harming one of the creatures.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You can own a dog and a hedgehog, but you should keep them separate. Put the hedgehog's cage in a room that the dog can't go into so there is no chance of the cage being knocked over and the hedgie being hurt in the fall. When it comes to interaction time, some dogs (usually older, very relaxed dogs) do okay with meeting a hedgie, but most are too excited and should not meet them. The best bet is just to keep them separate and have each as an individual pet to enjoy, not as companions. The risk of either hedgie or dog getting hurt is much too high for most people to want to risk it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have 2 small dogs both about 7lbs. and when the hedgies come out in the evenings they all get along great, the dogs ignore the hedgies and hediges ignore them. Just last night I caught Amy cuddled up asleep next to my dog stubs, was the cutest thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
versagirl said:
I have 2 small dogs both about 7lbs. and when the hedgies come out in the evenings they all get along great, the dogs ignore the hedgies and hediges ignore them. Just last night I caught Amy cuddled up asleep next to my dog stubs, was the cutest thing.
until stubs get a quill in the side on accident...

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
A dog could seriously injure or kill a hedgehog. A friendly hedgehog won't ball up until after the first bite which could fatally injure it. Any quill poke in the eye of a dog could lead to vision loss or blindness. If the dog has fleas it can pass them to the hedgehog.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Even if you think they might get along, it's still best to not introduce them. You're risking the health of two animals that depend on you, when there's no reason to do so. It's easy to keep a dog and hedgehog apart, even when the hedgehog is out of the cage for playtime. It can be hard to predict an animal's behavior, especially in a situation that you and the animal have never encountered before, so you can't say for sure how your dog will react. It's much, much better not to risk it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts