Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally managed to get Puff moving around enough (she's normally more of a snuggler than an explorer) outside of her cage to really observe her movement today and get a video.

Those who may have read my many previous posts might know that Puff got a head tilt shortly after getting sick with a URI a few months back. She remained on antibiotics (oral clavamox) and a liquid immune booster (heal-x booster) for a total of 28 days, during which time her head tilt showed improvement, but never completely went away.

She still has the head tilt, but is otherwise 100% healthy - eating well and she is still able to use her wheel - although wheeling has slightly decreased from what it used to be (she stopped wheeling during her illness, but resumed when I got a Carolina Storm Wheel, although it is not as long as her pre-sickness time - I have a bicycle computer I will set up one of these days to get a better idea of how much she wheels - I just suck at setting it up :lol: )

However, today I also noticed some changes in her movement, such as slightly leaning to the side which her head tilts (her right, I believe), sometimes dragging a foot more, and circling at first when I put her on her blanket, before walking in a straight line. She can still move fairly fast, and doesn't always circle before moving, and once she gets going she can walk in a straight line.

She also shakes her quills, like a dog would trying to shake water off of itself, she is currently about to receive her 2nd mite treatment (since Oakley brought home mites) and one of her ears is looking tattered so I'm pretty sure she might still have mites - which could explain the shaking.

Anyways, enough said, here is the link to the video, I tried to keep the camera as straight as possible so that you could see her head tilt. Sorry about the quality, it was the video camera app on my iphone as that was the only recording device I had at the time. If anyone who has ever seen WHS hedgehogs or has had experience with them theirselves could give me their opinion that would be greatly appreciated.

Puff walking with head tilt/shaking quills/leaning to the right

Puff circling

Thank you :)

Edit: here's a pic where the head tilt's very obvious:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Her head tilt is minor and I'm not sure I would have noticed it had you not mentioned it. She looks quite normal to me other than the shaking herself combined with the head tilt sill make me think something ear related. I can't remember but did the vet give you mite drops for her ears? Sometimes ear mites need drops.

At this point in time and from the video, I would say it's not WHS but initial stages there is such subtle symptoms that unless you are around the hedgehog all the time it's difficult to tell. It was months from Cinder's initial symptoms before we could say for certain something was wrong. Yes, I had a hunch right from the first that it was WHS but her initial symptom could have been anything.

What antibiotic was she on for her head tilt?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I know it's probably still too early to tell, and I guess you're right the head tilt just looks worse to me because I'm aware of it.

She was on oral clavamox for the 28 days (she also had a URI so that's why she was originally given the clavamox but it seemed to work for her head tilt too).

The vet actually managed to do a full ear exam on both of her ears, and found they were 100% clear, she couldn't even get any wax or discharge out to do a swab to test for anything. My vet didn't really want me to go ahead and use any ear drops (I had bought some polysporin ear drops) since the ears looked alright and she wasn't sure whether or not the drops would cause harm (I guess they've never dealt with a hedgehog with ear problem before). That being said, I could always try them myself...if it's safe....

Puff hasn't shown any sign of mites in general besides the shaking, and there's no quill loss or even any white flakes on her skin for me to a do a movement test with, so she might not have them. It's Chloe and Oakley who I know have them for sure, and I've been quite diligent about keeping all 3 far enough apart and changing myself (washing hands, clothes, etc) between handlings, so Puff *may* have escaped getting mites.

If she had ears mites...would the revolution kill them off eventually? or would I need the drops as well for sure?

The other vet that works at the exotics clinic talked to me on the phone as well. She says they've had similar cases with rabbits and ear infections and head tilts and told me if the month's worth of clavamox didn't clear up the head tilt, then in her opinion it was a permanent side effect from the ear problems.

I guess as long as Puff is still getting around fairly well, still eating and drinking well and still able to run on her wheel...then I should just not worry too much?

Thanks for your guys' opinions, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I agree she looks pretty normal when she's walking around, and the "jerkily turning in circles" (lol, not sure what else to call it) I've seen in other healthy hedgies.

If I remember correctly, was it your vet who was saying it was probably permenant inner ear damage from her being sick? To me that makes sense for the head tilt, it seems that's the only thing that's really affecting her movement right now.

But I am no expert, so definitely don't take my word for it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LizardGirl said:
I agree she looks pretty normal when she's walking around, and the "jerkily turning in circles" (lol, not sure what else to call it) I've seen in other healthy hedgies.

If I remember correctly, was it your vet who was saying it was probably permenant inner ear damage from her being sick? To me that makes sense for the head tilt, it seems that's the only thing that's really affecting her movement right now.

But I am no expert, so definitely don't take my word for it.
Yepp that was what one of my vets thought and I'm thinking I was just over-reacting about her seeming worse when she's moving. Thanks all for the reassurance :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts