Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Made an account to ask some experts on this. I've had my hedgie (Her Holiness Poke Francis) for about half a year now. She was a year old when I got her and was by no means properly socialized. She would run and hide if she so much as saw a person. She's doing sooo much better now than she was then: I can pick her up and hold her without her rolling into a ball, and she likes to crawl around under my hoodies and cuddle up in my hair. If I move, though, or talk, or do anything to startle her, she huffs and puffs and rolls up. It's like she only tolerates me as an inanimate object. I was wondering if another hedgehog might help her warm up to other living beings, especially if the new hedgy was young and properly socialized and friendly. Like, could another hedgy teach her how to be social? If that's an awful idea, let me know. I've already read that they shouldn't be housed together and should have their own cages, but I thought social time might be more productive if she had a buddy. Of course, she could be a jerk and it would backfire totally, I don't know hedgy behavior that well. More knowledgeable input would be wonderful.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
No she doesn't need a friend and having another hedgehog won't make her socialize more. Hedgehogs are solitary creatures and don't like having other hedgehogs around. Often times it can make an older hedgehog more aggressive as they feel they need to defend their territory from an intruder (the new hedgehog).

Half a year really isn't that long for socializing and older hedgehog. It can take a year or more. I would just keep doing what your doing, you've already come a long way with her, and be patient.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts