Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I am thinking about getting a hedgehog once I move into my first apartment this summer. I was looking at the recommended food requirements for hedgehogs and noticed everyone seemed to be recommending cat food. I looked at the Petsmart website and noticed dog foods fit the requirements as well. Would it work to feed a grain free dog food that met the nutritional requirements?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Leeloosmommy is right. Many dog foods fit the requirements, but unless they're specifically marketed to small breed dogs, you'll have to crush the kibble. I fed my hog Acana and Orijen dog food for a few months, but switched when I realized I was never going to find a consistent and fast way to break the pieces. I kept getting bits that were either still too large, or dust.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There are some brands of dog food that just simply have smaller kibbles. My dog gets Fromm, and those kibbles are just the tiniest bit bigger than the cat variety of the same brand that my hog gets. But yes, in general, most people go with cat food just because of the size. If one of the brands you're considering does have very small kibbles, you could certainly give it a shot and see how it works for you. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have my girl on blue buffalo small breed dog food along with cat food... The dog food is slightly bigger.. I tried it without crushing first and she had a really hard time eating it (like was gagging). Since that freaked me out I have been crushing it and adding water to basically make a wet food.. If she didn't like it so much I wouldn't take the time to do it but she loves it so... Lol I just grind up a bunch and that way it's ready to go

1 - 5 of 5 Posts