Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bf's hedgehog just passed away last night from an unknown illness. Its way too soon right now, but I'm thinking about getting another one for us and was just wondering if anyone knew of any breeders in the SF Bay Area.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hedgehogs are illegal in CA and it is unlikely you will find a breeder that will sell to you. There are no reputable breeders in the state.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just because they're illegal doesn't mean people don't have them or breed them. Just that they don't advertise

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I said reputable... any person that sincerely cares about the well being of the hedgie would not own or breed in a place where they can be confiscated and killed or rehomed without you knowing what happens to them... just my opinion. I used to live in CA and I'd never risk the animal like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm...well thanks for calling me irresponsible, that's pretty nice of you to throw in some insults like that.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I'm sorry if I offended you, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. I was merely saying that because of the consequences it would be best for a hedgie not to be kept in an illegal state.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Actually she didn't say you were irresponsible at all. Since breeders with more than three breeding females have to be licensed by the USDA there can be no licensed breeders in California since the state law supersedes federal laws. So as a moderator of HedgeHog Central it wouldn't be ethical to advise you how to commit a crime and if caught jeopardize the animals life. Most hedgehog enthusiasts would love to see the law changed in California as well as other illegal places. But the law is the law. So it would be irresponsible for anyone to engage in a conspiracy to commit a criminal act on a public forum.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Thank you reaper. :)

MissDion- I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything, so please don't take it personally.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If the forest service (or whoever patrols the illegal pets thing) finds out you have a hedgehog or ferret or any other illegal pet in Cali they will destroy it :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts