Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home from work today and took my hedgie out of her pen to let her wander I took off my socks. like smelly sweaty gross socks and Luna went right for them smelling them then chewing on one! and then kinda clawing at them. and then she took on in her mouth and started pulling it away walking backwards. where she was taking it? I had no idea and while she is still new to me and still kinda shy and timid this is a behavior i never seen before. she has not ever done this to cloths i am wearing when i holding her for bonding time. is this aggressive behavior or maybe my smelly work sock offended her? haha

·
Registered
353 Posts
It was probably a new smell, which would interest her. If you watched her afterwards she would have most likely start anointing, a completely normal behavior. Hedgies with lick and chew anything foreign to them and anoint, so it doesn't seem to be something worth worrying over.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Hedgies seem to have a liking for strange, very smelly things. :lol: Others have found their hedgies have a weird attachment to smelly used socks & will bite, annoint over, and steal them. Silly hedgies! Just be glad it's just a sock and not something like dog poop!!

·
Banned
533 Posts
Like everyone said she just really liked that smell!!! Did she foam and anoint or no? When Ollie discovers a new smell she gets transfixed on it (lately it's been blankets washed with regular detergent and fabric softener, hers are used with dye and fragrance free detergent and no fabric softeners) and she chews on the blankets then tries to drag them away.... and licks and licks and licks then anoints... SO cute...

·
Registered
837 Posts
My hedgie Molly used to play tug of war with my sock while it was on my foot. Silly girl.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not give her a chance to anoint since someone came to the door and I quickly put her back in her pen. but tonight when I had her out I had a throw pillow on the floor that everyone uses when they lay on the couch and she went nuts to the smelling and lick and she did anoint. usually shes not much of an explorer just a cuddler but tonight she was roaming everywheres and running too! when I put her back in her pen she usually just runs to her house. but tonight she ran all over her pen then got on her saucer and ran which she never does in front of me. full of energy which may be because I switched her food from hedgehog food to chicken soup for the cat lovers soul like I was suggested on here. That may be why she has so much more energy!

·
Registered
809 Posts
All my hedgies love socks and shoes and slippers. We have to be careful to make sure none of these items are in the immediate area when we set the little hogs on the floor for running around time. I wear shearling lined slippers and the first time Sebastian dove into one it was very difficult to get her out because she just latched on with tooth and tiny claw and dug in.
Very funny if I hadn't been worried about hurting her.
They also like smelly feet. Just fyi.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine does this with boiled chicken, with dead grass, with... basically anything I don't want her smelling like... xD

(She also tries to go for uh... between the legs... and bit my friend's girlfriend there once.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts