Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know (because I've been posting about her incessantly lol, sorry!), I recently adopted another hedgehog, Lily. She came with a cage and a wheel, a large CW. I assumed that she knew how to use it since she came with it, but so far I've seen no indication that she actually does use it. I'm worried that she's not getting enough exercise. She does seem to like playing with toys, so maybe I should get her a little ball or something?

Sorry, I'm always such a nervous parent. :X

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
New environment = new behaviour. Maybe she never used it maybe she's just shy/adjusting. Maybe she uses it only when you leave and doesn't poop on it? Quigley doesn't always poop on his wheel. I watch him at night sometimes though and he'll run on it for a while and then run a circle around the cage. I think he usually poops when he does the lap around the cage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm, so maybe she is using it and not pooping on it. That's actually good news for me, lol, because I hate cleaning poopy wheels! Annabelle runs a lot at night, but doesn't poop much on her wheel so maybe I have two that don't. That would be great. :D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You could put some flour on the wheel to see if she leave footprints from running. That way you will know for sure.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Check her nails. They may need trimming.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her nails do appear a bit long, but there's no way I'm going to be able to trim them at the moment... she's very fearful.

I tried the flour trick last night and sure enough, no foot prints. The flour hadn't even been disturbed. :( Should I maybe try a different type of wheel?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
If your hedgie has a treat it likes you can put that on the wheel because it might encourage him to get onto it. It may or may not work but was successful for my little guy. I would put treats onto it everynight before he came out. At first he'd just get on it to eat the snacks but it got him used to getting on and off of it and then one day I actually got to see him jump on and run after eatting them and it was so cute. He don't usually wheel in front of me but I love those chances he suprises me and I get to see him running on it :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news! This morning when I woke up and did the routine hedgie check, I noticed that the flour on Lily's wheel had been spread around... it looks like she's starting to catch on. :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yay! Go Lily! Who knows, she might turn into a hedgie, olympian track star? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts