Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I have been assuming that my female is pregnant.
She's eating and drinking A LOT and when i look at her belly, its kinof blue-ish in the middle..

I cleaned her cage for the last time today, she just woke up again and starts to poop in her sleeping area.. Is this normal for pregnant hedgehogs? She has never done it before.

I've been anxiously waiting for her to give birth, what are some signs that they are close to labor?

x

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Some hedgehogs just get lazy at times, but most species try and keep their den as clean as possible.
There aren't any totally reliable signs she is about to give birth. Some might go off food for a day, some won't. That's typical with many animals. Oh the monster poop. Their body tries to clear as much out as possible. Even people are lucky enough to do that one!

·
Registered
475 Posts
My breeder told me that females like to build a nest out of their bedding right before giving birth to make them feel more secure and isolated. Maybe watch for nesting?
Nikki will likely know what to look for, she's got serious breeding experience.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
I had mothers that didn't poop in their nest and others that did, some that built nests some that didn't, some that stopped eating or ate less before giving birth and others that didn't. There is such a variation in what mothers do or don't do before giving birth that there really isn't any way to tell when they're about to deliver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts