Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to feed your hedgie canned mealworms or freezedried mealworms than live ones? Someone told me that mealworms can bite the hedgies throat when he tries to swallow it and cause him pain. I WILL NEVER GIVE SERGIO ONE AGAIN!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Whomever told you that was mistaken. There is a reported incident of a SUPERworm that supposedly did that, but not a MEALworm. It is perfectly healthy to feed live mealworms to your hedgehog. In addition, SUPERworms can also be feed to your hedgehog when fed properly....which is to pinch or cut off their head....or feed butt first (so the worm is dead by the time it swollows the head). I feed my hedgies a variety of live worms and bugs.

Pixie

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whoa I haven't heard that before. I've always thought it was compltely fine because when they bite the mealworm, it's usually killed so they can swallow it.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
DumplingHedgie said:
Whoa I haven't heard that before. I've always thought it was compltely fine because when they bite the mealworm, it's usually killed so they can swallow it.
MEALworms are not the same as SUPERworms. Pixie already explained it quite clearly.

·
Registered
273 Posts
yea cuz if u see ahedgie eat 1, it tears it up pretty good, no more buggie, cuz the hedgie chews it viciously!!!!!!!!!1

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Please look at threads before posting. This is very old, from 7 years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts