Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little guy has been here for 4 days -- this is the fifth. And he is super outgoing-- definitely an explorer though when he is tuckered out he will snuggle up and snooze away in your lap or arms. In the last 2 days he has started "tasting". I say tasting since he isn't biting but he is licking our fingers and opening his mouth and putting it on us- I can't describe it except for tasting-- our bunny has done that when she though she might have a carrot but wasn't sure whether that was accurate (she hasn't bitten anyone after 1 year). Now, we tend to remove the finger in case Chester Tiddly Winks changes his mind and chomps down but we don't jerk away and it happens when he is exploring and sniffing away like a crazy exploring hedge-man.
Is this is a normal behavior?
Here he is exploring!

[attachment=0:290fsry9]Animals - 38.jpg[/attachment:290fsry9]

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
The tasting as you call it is annoiting, nobody actually knows the purpose of it. Yes its normal, nothing is wrong with your hedgehog, my Sonic (3months now) still does, it looks more like he is kissing my finger, though its annoiting.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
When a hedgie annoints, you'll definitely be able to tell. They'll foam and froth at the mouth(the same colour as the food you just fed... :roll: ) and then contort their back and lick it all over their quills. That's annointing.

If your hedgie is licking your fingers, don't let it progress, as it can lead to biting. It may not, but there's always that possibility. Always make sure your hands are clean when you handle him, as biting is not fun(many here have experienced it). Sounds like what you're doing now is fine ^_^ Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kioko, another of my hedgies, likes to nip. She licks and licks and licks, even going up on her hind legs to get to your finger, and if you let her have it she nips you a few times and then gets distracted by something else. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, as she never chomps and she just seems to have that trait in her personality, you know: learn by taste, learn by touch, lol. I have tried to dissuade her by gently blowing in her face, but she just puts her quills up and keeps licking :roll: , I have also tried washing my hands before handling her , but if she likes the smell she licks it any ways, lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys have soothed me!
I was totally worried about it. Thinking, "Oh no, he is going to be a biter!" but this is great info. His other momma (we have a joint custody arrangement) said he tried to nip her when she came over to visit and I was out -- he wouldn't unroll out the ball and he tried to nip. I was so surprised and totally worried. With me he sniffs and licks and tastes. I think it is when I use my Trader Joe's brand Lavender dish soap to wash my hands and I was wondering whether he might like the taste or smell of it and want to taste it. But I will keep pulling my fingers clear and see whether the soap is a trigger.
Thank you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes It's probably because you have an interesting smell on your hands, my hedgie used to do the same, I bought some un scented soap and use that before handling him and that seemed to stop him being as interested :D
If I have deodorant on my clothes he will lick them or bite them, all the new smells drive them crazy :lol:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
My hedgehog is obsessed with licking us (my boy friend and I) everywhere. Anywhere he finds skin he will lick, toes, legs arms whatever. He must like the smell of our body wash (which is only mildly scented) but I can't find any unscented stuff. We're lucky because he is missing his eye teeth (vampire teeth) so if he decides to bite or nip it is not sharp.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What an adorable little guy! He has a wonderfully sweet expression. <3

My hedgehog is new to me, too (I have had her for a little over a week now), and I did notice that when I first started handling her, she did a lot of sniffing/licking her lips. One day she was licking my finger - I let her do it because it seemed harmless, but then all of a sudden she CHOMPED down on it, with no warning! I haven't let her lick since. It HURT - you'd be surprised how sharp their teeth are! The behavior is probably fine as long as he doesn't offer to bite. If he ever does, I would bar him from doing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts