Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three hoglets that r 4 weeks old and was wanting to know if hoglets need to be vaccinated like puppies?If so what kind?
Thanks Larry

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
As far as I know, hedgehogs don't need any kind of vaccines at any point in their life. They're pretty hardy creatures. :)

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lilysmommy said:
As far as I know, hedgehogs don't need any kind of vaccines at any point in their life. They're pretty hardy creatures. :)
I thought so too..Had someone ask me and since i did not know for sure i knew yall hedgie lovers would give me the right answer Thanks LarryT

·
Registered
912 Posts
Lilysmommy said:
I think it's more along the lines of: no vaccines have been developed for hedgies.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Well, they really don't have any illnesses that could be prevented with vaccines...at least as far as I know (which isn't really saying much, lol). But the main illnesses that I can think of are: colds, upper respiratory infections, WHS, cancer, and infections from cuts and such. None of those could be prevented with any kind of vaccine. I'm sure I'm missing some things, but those seem to be the most common things that come up on the boards.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Lilysmommy said:
Well, they really don't have any illnesses that could be prevented with vaccines..
Not true. As a mammal, they can contract Rabies if exposed. They can also contract leptospirosis, a type of distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus and lyme disease, all of which have vaccines in other species, none of which have vaccines for hedgehogs.

We don't typically see these issues because we don't expose our pets to them, but the more a hedgehog goes outside on soil or the more contact they have with other species, the better the chances are that we'll see these diseases in them, eventually, with the exception of rabies. Rabies in hedgehogs is rather unheard of for the same reason that rabies in rat/mice/chipmunks is rare. To contract rabies one must typically be bitten by a rabid animal. Most small mammals die from the bite before they can die from rabies, BUT the potential is always there.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Cool, I learned something new today! Thanks for correcting me, HedgeMom! :) That was very interesting to find out, and I'll remember that in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my dad got worried when I said I had a cut on my finger and at that time I gave my hedgies a foot bath since they had poopy feet. He mentioned leptospirosis and I kinda freaked out. I'm still freakaing out. is it possible for us to get leptospirosis from our pets pee?

·
Registered
160 Posts
As far as I know one of the main ways people get lepto is from their pets- BUT I would imagine the chances of YOUR hedgehog having lepto would be really small. In the future if you have cuts on your hands it's always good to wear gloves or have his feet soak before you scrub them but to be honest, in many years of working with animals that could have been potential carriers and some who were carriers and constantly having cuts I have never gotten it.
That being said if I was working with a dog who I knew had it at the vet office I would take extreme caution, but I would imagine that the best thing to do is to just be aware of the symptoms so that if you start exhibiting them they can be recognized early on and talk to your doctor if you are concerned.
And all hedgehog owners IMO should wash hands before and after handling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts