Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old ferret ball, and was wondering if my hedgie would use it...
My Oscar is very young and I put him in it, but all he did was pee and poop...
but I was wondering if he would run in it like a hamster or ferret once he gets used to it...

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I was actually going to post a question regarding the plastic balls, too. I saw some at the pet store today, in several sizes. I thought it might be interesting to see if Lily would like one, but I wasn't sure how safe they are for hedgies, what with the possibility of little toes/toenails getting caught in those ventilation slits. Plus, I'm not sure I want to pay $20 for the larger size, only to find out that she doesn't want to run around in it because there are lights on or something, lol. She doesn't really need a $20 house to sleep in. :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$20 is cheap compared to mine...I paid $35 a couple years ago, but now theres a new pet store in town that sells them for $21 :roll: :oops:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not a fan. Toes can easily get stuck and be painfully ripped off. The ball also bends the hedgie in ways that are really unnatural. I don't think they provide enough air (I've seen even hamsters fog them up), and how can one know when the animal is having fun or really just wants to escape the ball (both would appear like an animal running in the ball). Yup, I advise against the ball. I personnaly prefer to hedgie proof a room and let them roam (but of course this must be done carefully - I've had wonderful luck by filling socks with rice and using them to block holes and cover heat registers, etc.) or buy a play pen (ferret nation has one I believe) and set up a little area for them to roam in and play in.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Huh. Thanks for the link, LG. I'm definitely not going to bother spending the money on one then, if there's that much of a risk. I did think the slits looked kind of dangerous while I was looking at the ones in the store. I was just thinking that Lily seems a little shy/nervous if I put her down to explore in my room and maybe it would boost her confidence a little to have a smaller environment around her to explore in. Maybe she'll eventually get more confidence after some more supervised play time, though. :) I'm thinking about getting one of those little play fences they have at pet stores so that it's a bit safer for her. My room's a bit difficult to hedgie-proof. :roll:

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
You can either buy those play fences, or stop by your closest department type store and pick up some cubes (the type used in c&c cages). I bought some of the solid poly cubes and use them as a play pen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts