Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious, do hedgehogs really need wheels? I guess the thoughts in ym head are that if the cage is big enough then they wont need wheels..Am I right or wrong?
My cage is 32" wide x 47" long, it seams pretty huge, couldnt my hedgie just run around its cage or does it need a wheel??

·
Registered
466 Posts
The first month or so I brought Felix home, he kept running his feet raw and bloody on his wheel. His previous owner never gave him one, so I think he was just going a little overboard on the thing. I took the it out for a night to allow his feet to heal up a bit since he just kept re-opening the wound. HOLY CRAP did he show me how angry he was! I woke up to a seriously trashed cage the next morning. Food everywhere, poop smeared on the cage walls, things tipped over...

Needless to say, I will never remove his wheel again because clearly it leads to angry hedgie wrath. So the answer to your question is yes, they definitely need a wheel. :lol:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yes, they absolutely need them. :) After seeing how much my hedgies run each night and observing them running around outside, I really wish I could give them all huge pens to run in at night, but it's just unrealistic. :\ You'd have to have an entire room dedicated to your hedgie I would say to be able to get away with not offering a wheel... and even then, I think he or she would still use it. :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
its so much fun pulling the wheel out of its shipment box :D it's like Christmas!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.