Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two female hedgehogs that i put together today. The smaller one started sniffing and mating the larger one for a good ten minutes. It had me confused i thought the smaller one might be a male but i double checked and the private part is next to its tail witch mean its a female. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or do you think it might be a male. Thanks

·
Registered
586 Posts
If it has a belly button it is a male. Then you have to worry about pregnancy. It may be like with dogs and it's a dominate thing. Telling the other who's the boss. You shouldn't really cage 2 hogs together. Even same sex will fight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, same sex couples cannot mate but sexing can be confusing, especially with small animals. It is possible that you just mated your hedgehog it is possible that the little one just wanted to show her dominance, I dont know hedgehog behavior too well yet. However if a small newbie goes into an older and/or bigger hedgehogs cage and tries to be dominant, I would not leave them unsupervised for any amount of time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes thats what i thought but the mating thing threw me off. That was so weird seeing two female hedges mating. Maybe she thinks shes a boy lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not uncommon at all for animals to engage in same-sex frolicking. I experience "irregular" mating behaviors in many of the reptiles and amphibians I keep. In particular I have a "hot" female bearded dragon that exhibits male behavior. It may or may not be a dominance issue. Could also just be... Well, we don't actually know in particular what determines a lot of homoerotic behavior in animals. In breeding (animals in general) we call them duds, but that's a little insensitive, don't you think? :p

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Most of the time when same sex animals do this its to establish dominance. As long as it doesn't happen all the time and doesn't go on for extended periods of time its normal behaviour and should stop. Just make sure that the less dominate one doesn't get pushed from the food or sleeping areas.

·
Registered
622 Posts
eskye said:
Not uncommon at all for animals to engage in same-sex frolicking. I experience "irregular" mating behaviors in many of the reptiles and amphibians I keep. In particular I have a "hot" female bearded dragon that exhibits male behavior. It may or may not be a dominance issue. Could also just be... Well, we don't actually know in particular what determines a lot of homoerotic behavior in animals. In breeding (animals in general) we call them duds, but that's a little insensitive, don't you think? :p
female bearded dragons show their dominance over each other but i never heard about it being sexual in anyway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
jerseymike1126 said:
female bearded dragons show their dominance over each other but i never heard about it being sexual in anyway.
Wasn't saying mine was sexual. I don't keep her with other females. A hot female is a female that has male instincts, most likely from being incubated at a hotter temperature. It's a breeding term for a sterile female that comes from a batch of eggs incubated to be male. They behave like a male, complete with aggression. I have not put her with others because she would be more likely to kill males and show odd behaviors around females. She's a potential hazard to the rest of my breeders. Basically, a dud and will not breed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
jerseymike1126 said:
ah, never ran into that with my beardies.
You're lucky. We call her Zeus the Genderqueer beardie. Doesn't happen that often, I only figured it out by talking to my mentor that kept 500+ beardies for twenty years. Probably not common enough to notice most of the time, especially in pets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts