Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Ello all, I was just wondering what the best thing was to use to disinfect your hedgie's cage. I heard somewhere that Lysol was too strong? And then something about a vinegar/water solution...I was just curious, I had wanted to disinfect Algernon's C&C cage, so far I've just been wiping it down with a wet rag, too paranoid that I would use the wrong soap. Oh, and also, what about de-smelifying it? Its not rank or anything, again, just wondering what you guyses used ;) THANKS!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I keep a spray bottle with 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water on hand for daily wheel cleaning and I also wipe down their plastic trays in the bottom of the cage with it when I change their fleece liners. I also use it to wipe down their baking tray litter pans daily and the cage doors weekly. It works really well but has one drawback: when it mixes with hedgie poop and pee it is stinky! I don't think of fish 'n chips the same way anymore :lol:

·
Registered
334 Posts
lane_m said:
It works really well but has one drawback: when it mixes with hedgie poop and pee it is stinky! I don't think of fish 'n chips the same way anymore :lol:
LOL!!! :mrgreen:

I use Charmin Freshmates to wipe down between liner changes: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... =350153547

When I pull out the bottom of the house to wash it, I use Ivory liquid.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I use the Lysol wipes, letting it completely air dry, not putting them back for about an hour. They do not have enclosed cages though and then the clean fleece liners are placed over it so they aren't in contact with the surface.

·
Registered
372 Posts
krbshappy71 said:
I use the Lysol wipes, letting it completely air dry, not putting them back for about an hour. They do not have enclosed cages though and then the clean fleece liners are placed over it so they aren't in contact with the surface.
Lysol leaves a toxic residue and should never be used on a hedgehog cage.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wash the wheels every morning with Ivory liquid soap also....

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I use a disinfectant called chlorhexidine. It's animalsafe and works great. I use the diluted solution (a tablespoon of the concentrated solution to a gallon of water) and put it in a spray bottle. I also make wipes out of it by cutting a paper towel roll in half and soaking it in the solution, then keeping it in a baby wipes container. :)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I use 50/50 vinegar to water for the majority of all cleaning and maintenance cleaning. If I want to disinfect I use antibacterial soap and make sure to rinse and air dry so there is no smell.

·
Registered
902 Posts
HedgeMom said:
krbshappy71 said:
Lysol leaves a toxic residue and should never be used on a hedgehog cage.
Ah ok I will switch to baby wipes. Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you read the Lysol canister it will say not to use it around pets.

I used to use a pet-safe disinfecting wipe called Spotty!. I found it in the pet section of our local Wal-Mart in the dog area. They work wonderfully, are thicker than normal baby wipes, and contain baking soda to help deodorize. And best of all they're safe to use around pets.

You could also use a 50/50 vinegar water solution. Just let it dry for 30 minutes and the smell will disappear. I find that white vinegar works best.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lovemyhedgie said:
I would use Dawn Soap. I would also clean the cage every week by washing the bottom and all the toys
So as long as there is no soap residue, that's okay? I've been using it since I got Dewey and since he didn't seem to mind I just kept using it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Bengall77 said:
If you read the Lysol canister it will say not to use it around pets.

I used to use a pet-safe disinfecting wipe called Spotty!. I found it in the pet section of our local Wal-Mart in the dog area. They work wonderfully, are thicker than normal baby wipes, and contain baking soda to help deodorize. And best of all they're safe to use around pets.

You could also use a 50/50 vinegar water solution. Just let it dry for 30 minutes and the smell will disappear. I find that white vinegar works best.
Thanks Bengall, I've switched to 50/50 vinegar in a spray bottle and I have them out of the room while using it. Just as handy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts