Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I just got my hedgehog about a week ago, and we enjoy some good, quality bonding time. However, as most he's a little bit perturbed when I get him out from his home, to spend an hour or so on my stomach, or something nearly as unproductive. ;P I was wondering if anyone found any socializing hints, or have any tips? It could be beneficial to all of us.

As most hedgehogs are different, I'll assume a "buyer beware". With Simba, I've found that when he's curled into his ball, if I do circular "figure eights" down his spine, and back up, he not only calms down, but unrolls himself, and stops hissing. This is also the same when he's on the ground, partially rolled. I assume he must like it? A little hedgie massage and I've won him over. ;p

Also, when using the toilet paper roll, when he sticks his head in, hold it to about his level. He is extremely calm, and he lets me run my fingers through his quills.

That's what I have to offer, whether or not you may know. But! Do you have any tricks? Any tips on just about anything? Something you've discovered?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The meal worm does work well. But if I don't have a mealie handy I've found that Quigley likes to be rocked gently. I guess he likes the motion. Once his face is showing he lets me stroke up his nose and into his forhead quills. The stroking seems to calm him down even more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooooh.

Lol. Meal worms scare me... when I grab them and they're all like.. freaking out trying to bite me.

The motion seems like a good idea as well. My hedgie gets really curious when I take him from like... a bedroom to the living room, but once when we're at a new location, his defenses roll up again, and then it takes a few minutes to chill out.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Are you feeding super worms? because regular meal worms can't really bite. if you are feeding super worms you need to cut the heads off first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts