Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're getting closer to our "due" date here-- and setting up the cage. I read that it's important to have an additional digital thermometer with a probe so you have two thermometers to compare ............ where do you guys put yours? Is it true he won't chew on it? Trying to figure out the best place for the thermometer and the probe.... thanks

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I put Lily's thermostat probe in the middle of her cage, can't remember if it was on the front or back. I think it was on the front? And her thermometer had two probes, so I put one in front near her igloo and one in the back near her wheel and the thermometer gave me the average temp of the two locations. I'd suggest putting the thermostat probe in the middle of the cage (as kind of a general medium for the cage), and the thermometer probe near her bed (so you know that it's getting warm enough where she sleeps). You could always alternate where the thermometer probe goes though, if you want to doublecheck temperature in different places, to make sure the heat's getting everywhere.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Kelsey - so you actually attached it to her cage and then let the probe be near her sleeping area? I just wanted to make sure that it was ok to have the cord from the probe lying in her cage. Mine only has one cord.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Sorry, not sure how clear I was. I had them taped to the wall of the cage, so they wouldn't get stepped on/laid on/peed on/etc. So there wasn't any part of the cords or probes that were laying on the floor of the cage. So the thermostat probe was in the middle of the front wall of the cage. And one of the thermometer probes was taped to the wall over near the entrance to her igloo. That gave me a pretty good reading for what the temp was in that area, and there wasn't any chance of her laying on it or something and messing up the reading. You may have to watch though, and make sure your hedgie isn't a curious one who tries to bite at or chew at the probe or tape. Lily always just left them alone, so I never had to deal with that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is it possible to drill a small hole in the side coroplast and put the through it so all the cords are on the outside?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts